Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Questions before a trip.. 2007/11/22 14:16
I haven't been to Japan in years, and now I find myself rusty on many things and still unsure of some of the things I was unsure about before. May trip is several months away, but this is nagging me.

Below are the questions on my mind at the moment. Let me explain a little first though... in 2002 I rented a room from a man, and now I have contacted him about renting a room again. I felt more like a guest than someone paying for a room last time... the fee was very cheap and he was very kind and generous.

1. Am I legally required to carry my passport at all times?

2. If you are renting a room from someone, should you bring them a gift?

3. If I meet a friend I haven't seen in years, should I bring a gift for them?

4. When going home after renting a room (or parting from a new friend), is there anything I should say or do? Last time it was incredibly awkward and I didn't know how to express my gratitude beyond a fumbled "thank you."

5. If I should give a gift, what is appropriate?

by Robyn  

Questions before a trip.. 2007/12/5 12:17
(1) I understand that the Police can stop you if you appear suspicious and for any reason. If you are a foreigner they may ask you for your passport. I believe you're legally required to carry your passport at all times as I do.

(2) You did not say what country you're from. Generally, it is not necessary to give a gift to someone you're renting a room from. More so, if they are charging you market rent. However, if they are charging you below market rent then you may consider giving them an inexpensive gift from your country.

As for the man you're renting from AGAIN, since the fee was very cheap and he was very kind and generous, you should give more thought and spend more in giving him a gift from your country that you think he will enjoy. Plus, you are a returning guest. You should give it to him upon your arrival. Hopefully, this will correct the awkwardness you felt the last time. You probably felt awkward because you felt that a simple thank you was not enough for the low fees and how he treated you.

While staying there, you may consider doing some things nice for him and periodically coming "home" with an inexpensive treat from where you were that day just to say that you thought of him. It should be something that you feel he'll appreciate such as manju, bakery products, pickled vegetables, etc. When you leave for home, you should thank this man for all those things you appreciate and say that he made your stay in Japan that much more comfortable, enjoyable and memorable with a heartfelt thank you very much. Say what you feel! A bottle of his favorite sake or premium sake may be nice when you're leaving.

(3) Again, something small from your country would be nice but not necessary.

(4) Parting gifts to new friends are not the usual unless they went out of their way to entertain you, take you around, treat you, etc. For such new friends, although more expensive, mailing them something from your country and not readily available in Japan with a thank you note may be considered.

5. This is always a difficult question and in part depends on your financial situation. Giving gifts is always something personal and depends if it's for one person or more. Giving gifts for your situations should not be something you must do but something you WANT to do. Then, it becomes more meaningful when you give it to the receiver.

The above is what I believe and not necessarily what others will agree with. It would be helpful if others post their suggestions too.
by Harold rate this post as useful

Stay 2007/12/5 16:49
You don't say how long you are in Japan and what you are doing there. If less than 90 days, you don't need the gaikokujin torokusho (i.e. gaijin card) but you had better have your passport with you at all times outside -- it's unlikely but any cop could ask you for it and if you don't have it, you will most likely be detained.
Legally not a lot has changed since you were there last, you could bring some small gifts with you...I recommend something light and not bulky.
Several small items are OK as well and nothing expensive is needed. For someone special I bring something for all their 5 senses -- something nice to see, like a calendar of your country, something to eat, something that smells nice, like soap, lotion, you get the idea. There is a good list of suggestions on http://www.thejapanfaq.com/
If you are from the U.S. also the dollar is getting weaker, so things may seem more expensive.
by Rod rate this post as useful

reply to this thread