Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese sweets/snacks/titbits 2007/11/23 02:33
1) Where can I buy Japanese sweets/Japanese snacks/titbits in Shinjuku, Asakusa or Odaiba at reasonable prices? I plan to buy some back to my country, but I heard from my colleague that it's not easy to find shop/departmental store in Shinjuku selling Japanese snacks/sweets.

2) Will Japanese sweets/snacks be generally sold cheaper at Narita airport than at shops/departmental stores in Tokyo?

3) Where in shinjuku, Asakusa or Odaiba can I buy different flavour of Mochi (a kind of Japanese snacks)?

Thanks.
by cr  

... 2007/11/23 10:17
Local supermarkets are best to buy local food/snacks. But they are mostly located in residential districts not in central Tokyo.

In Shinjuku, your best bet is Donki on Yasukuni street. http://www.donki.com/index.php
In Asakusa, Super Ozeki is on Kaminari-mon street. (2-6-11 Kaminari-mon street)
by JLady rate this post as useful

mochi 2007/11/24 10:11
Also check convenience stores- they are more likely to be carrying snacks than the upmarket department stores in Shinjuku.

What kind of flavoured mochi are ypu after? Mochi by itself is usually just plain, mochi made into sweets with bean paste, chestnut paste, kinako, sesame seeds etc comes in various flavours.
by Sira rate this post as useful

and 2007/11/24 10:12
I meant to add that products from snack shops at Narita are usually more expensive than those from shops in the city.

.... 2007/11/24 12:24
so can we buy Mochi at Asakusa along the Nakamise Dori shopping street?
by cr rate this post as useful

What kind of mochi? 2007/11/24 13:17
What kind of mochi are you looking for? Plain blocks of hard mochi that need to be cooked, or mochi made into sweets?

Mochi is an ingredient of many sweets and you might find some on Nakamise dori, but I doubt you'll find the bags of plain uncooked mochi there- that is sold in supermarkets.

Last time I went to Nakamise dori the food products I remember seeing were sembei and manjuu (bean paste dumplings.)

.. 2007/11/24 23:26
I'm referring to mochi made into sweets/sweet snacks. Are they sold at Nakamise dori?

by cr rate this post as useful

100yen shop 2007/11/27 09:39
There's a 100yen shop at Shinjuku. Its at Pepe Shopping Centre which is right next to Shinjuku Prince Hotel. Just take the east or Kakibucho exit from Shinjuku station.

You can get cheap Japanese snacks such as crackers,chocolates, jellies and drinks for only 100yen per pack. There's also a Muji store over there where you can get snacks for 200yen onwards.
by Funshine rate this post as useful

adding on.. 2007/11/27 09:42
I forgot to add that the shop's name is "Can Do" and its on the top most floor which I can't remember if its the 7th or 8th floor.
by Funshine rate this post as useful

reply to this thread