Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train seat number 2007/11/25 20:54
This may be a silly question, but last year when i rode on the Shinkansen (Tokyo to Osaka) I did not know how to find the seat number on the ticket or in the train...one of my fellow travelers just said sit here, this is your seat. I will be going to Tokyo in April, but I'm worried if I'll be able to find my seat. Can someone explain to me exactly where the seat # is located on the ticket and in the train? Is it posted like on an airplane?
Thanks.
by Hawaiijin  

... 2007/11/26 09:04
Car number and seat number are shown on your ticket. You can get your ticket in English, in which case it is easy to find out your car and seat number.

In Japanese, it looks something like:
3号車 means car number 3
9番A席 means seat 9A

Car numbers are written on the outside and inside of trains (and on signs on the platform), while seat numbers are written above the seats like on airplanes.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/26 09:32
One possibility was you had an unreserved seat ticket.

But yes if you had a seat reservation along with your ticket (should be 2 tickets) it should say car number seat number etc, marked just like an airplane.
by John rate this post as useful

Thank you 2007/11/26 10:18
Thanks for your replies; when I go to Tokyo in April, I'll be sure to study the train ticket before I get on! My fears are slightly alleviated.
by Hawaiijin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread