Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Okinawa? 2007/11/26 09:29
Hi,

My girlfriend and I plan a trip to Japan around May 10th for approx 2 weeks.
We looked at this site carefully and would like see Tokyo (part of it), Nikko, Naritasan, Kamakura, Takayama, Kyoto, Nara and Himeji. I know its gonna be tight and gotta be well planed, but is it worth to continue to Okinawa?

Thanks
by Thanh_and _Kim  

... 2007/11/26 10:06
I don't think you have the time. And May is not the best time to visit Okinawa, anyway. It is rainy season in Okinawa.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Butting in ... 2007/11/26 10:13
When is the best season for that area?
by Tama rate this post as useful

and .... 2007/11/26 10:14
And what is a workable time frame, if one wants to see Okinawa and one other is
land?

... 2007/11/26 10:30
Okinawa sees the best weather from mid June through August with increasing risk of typhoons.

How much time depends on your travel style and on how much you want to see. Some people spend just one or two nights. Others think that it is not worth to go there unless you have at least a week to relax at the beach.

It also depends on how many islands you wish to visit. Just the main island. Or just the Yaeyama Islands. Or other island groups. Or all of them.

Some basics on what there is to see:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1247.html

Thanks for that 2007/11/26 11:18
I am now reading the link. Let me refine the question a bit, knowing that different people like different things.

If we remove beach relaxation time from the equation, I am thinking about (a) reasonable cultural and landscape exploration time on Okinawa itself, and (b) a visit to one outlying island, dor a contrasting experience.

Does 5 days, say, sound like a practical time frame. Or 6 if the inter-ilsland transport is by boat?

And is there one island in particular which makes a practical combination or 'natural set' with Okinawa?

Okinawa 2007/11/26 11:48
Ok thanks...
Gonna make us save a couple of bucks, even tough I find the plane tickets surprisignly low in Japan compare to China national flights (we payed 500$ each for a 3 hrs Hong-Kong to Beijing last april with Dragonair)...

But It would have been a nice relaxation place after running to all the places we have to see...

Any suggestion for a quiet day or 2 in Kinki?

Thanks
by Thanh_and_Kim rate this post as useful

Maybe I can help out with that 2007/11/26 12:55
... since you had the initiative to start this thread. I know Kinki pretty well. And it is a nice season.

What kind of thing are you looking for?

(NB everyone else: I am still interested in answers to above)

... 2007/11/26 12:57
Does 5 days, say, sound like a practical time frame. Or 6 if the inter-ilsland transport is by boat?

Yes, that sounds like a practical time frame.

And is there one island in particular which makes a practical combination or 'natural set' with Okinawa?

My favorite is Iriomote Island. It is as tropical as Japan gets:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7225.html

However, it is far away from Okinawa Main Island. You have to travel via Ishigaki.

Less time consuming would be a side trip to the Kerama Islands. I have not been there personally yet, but have heard a lot of good things.

... 2007/11/26 12:58
Any suggestion for a quiet day or 2 in Kinki?

Mount Koya, Kinosaki Onsen, others:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1105.html

Kinki 2007/11/26 13:09
Thanks Tama and Uji,

I see that some part of Kinki reaches the water, so we would like something remote and quiet to relax, maybe close to the ocean, thats why we were thinking of Okinawa at first place.
I already did checked the link of Kinki, but will double-check!

Thanks
by Thanh_and Kim rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/26 13:37
Thanks Uji. Useful!

T & K: would you consider renting car? If so, I'd recommend the Japan Sea coast of Kyoto and Fukui.

If no car, the Wakayama coast from Shirahama south and around the cape.

The NW shore of Lake Biwa is also quiet and coastal, and it is well before the tourist high season.

I can get more specific if you'd like.

Wakayama... 2007/11/27 09:13
Thanks Tama!

Wakasama looks really great! I will take a closer look for sure.

We didnt think of renting a car cause I taught public transport would be more efficient,,,and I somethimes get lost in my town (Montreal)...And since I'm a Murphy's Law adept...I would prefer not to take a chance ;-))

I also find Amonahashidate quite beautifull (at least from the picture taken on a peak...) Have you visited that place?
by Thanh_and_Kim rate this post as useful

reply to this thread