Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

trains... 2007/11/27 23:01
I know this has been addresses in some ways on this site but I am now totally confused. Family of 4..travelling from Tokyo to Osaka. Based in Osaka for 10 days to use as a base to explore Kyoto, Nara and possibly Hiroshima ..hopefully some other places as well. Then back to Tokyo for 4 days.
Do you think it is worth buying a JR pass or would it be better to pay the
fare and just get the Kansai pass or the Sanyo west/east(?) pass once we get to Osaka.
Hope you can shed some light...
Many thanks
by scarlett  

... 2007/11/28 07:42
It depends on whether you go to Hiroshima or not. If yes, a 14-day Japan Rail Pass will probably pay off. Otherwise, regular tickets are likely to come cheaper than a 14-day Japan Rail Pass.

In case you are on a low budget, you could travel even cheaper by taking buses:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Trains 2007/11/29 04:33
Scarlett: You didn't say if this is your 1st trip to Japan and if the 4 people includes 2 kids or not. Anyway.....

Flying into Narita and out of Narita? Consider flying into Kansai and out of Narita unless the cost difference is prohibitive or your airline of choice does not fly into Kansai. Then go from Kansai to Hiroshima. For your train search, best to search Kansai to Osaka and Osaka to Hiroshima for Hikari RailStar to Hiroshima. The direct Kansai to Hiroshima search will show Nozumi trains. The Regular Rail Pass will not get you on the Nozumi trains.

While in Hiroshima, visit Peace Memorial Park (Atomic Bomb site) and the must visit - Miyajima Island. On Miyajima make sure you walk to Momiji Park. Next to the Iwaso Ryokan is a stream with a red bridge. Relax there and enjoy the surroundings for a memorable visit. Next to the Ryokan is a walking path down to the stream where you can take beautiful photos. Use the JR Ferry with your Rail Pass for free ride.

On your way back to Osaka, stop a few hours to see Himeji Castle. Leave your carry-ons in lockers at the train station. You may want to stay in Kyoto for a couple of nights and do a day trip to Nara or from Osaka. Day trips to Hiroshima and Kyoto are not the same as overnighting in these Cities. Then,consider staying in another City to see more of Japan if time permits. The JR 14-day Rail Pass is suggested. Day one starts with your 1st train ride. You can use the pass for the Express or Limited Express trains to and from the airport and your hotel.

I think 10 days in Osaka is too long especially if this is your 1st trip to Japan. You may also consider staying in Tokyo for 3 days instead of 4 days depending on what you want to do in Tokyo. While in Tokyo, consider taking the Sumida River Cruise from Hinode Pier to Sumida Park followed by a short 2 blocks walk to Kannon Temple/Nakamise. If you go to Ueno Park, across the street from Ueno Train Station is Ameyoko-cho where a lot of locals shop and the prices there are less for the same thing you find at Kannon Temple/Nakamise. Tsukiji Market in lower Ginza, Tokyo is a must see too.

Aloha!

You should prepare a DETAIL itinerary while looking at the map of Japan to decide where you want to visit & stay. Research each location to plan & schedule each day. Use JR train schedules http://www.hyperdia.com/ to plan your train schedules. And, you probably want to use Osaka as your homebase because of luggage movement difficulties. Move your luggage via luggage delivery service to your hotel every 3 days. Use carry-on on wheels, one for every 2 people knowing you'll meet up with your luggage on the 3rd day. This service is available just outside the baggage claim area. Ask the Information desk for their location.

I know all of you will enjoy your visit to Japan. Aloha!
by Harold rate this post as useful

trip 2007/11/29 05:41
I agree with Harold suggestions. a small detail: when checking Hyperdia #1 enter the time in a 24 hrs clock (5 pm is 17:00 hrs) #2 remove check mark from airplane, put a check mark on shinkansen, except nozomi and limited express. you will get schedules Kansai-Hiroshima with the Haruka to shin-Osaka then the Hikari shinkansen to Hiroshima. at any rate once in Japan you must reserve seats at a JR STATION. If you have a JR PASS they will automaticaly give you the Hikari. Enjoy your trip and do ask for more info if you wish. by the way I usually make my own itinerary on the computer and print it along with the home pages of hotels I reserved or am interested in, pages about this town or that town (most towns, including Kyoto and Osaka have very good internet sites etc. and make a binder.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread