Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Self-Study (Not by choice) and the JLPT. 2007/11/28 04:43
Hi everyone, I am trying to learn Japanese all by myself, but since I am an immigrant from the UK to the USA, and until the paperwork is cleared I cannot work, drive, learn or live in this country. So attending classes is out of the question.
Recently, I started taking this time to really make a go of learning Japanese so when the time comes I will be able to land some sort of job working with/or maybe one day IN Japan.
What I really wanted to ask was about techniques for self study, especially since I am somewhat isolated and moneyless ;-)
Next year I aim to try to raise enough money to take part in the initial level 4 of the JLPT, and would love some direction in the matter.

I am trying to expand my friends in the field of Japan and Japanese studies, so feel free to message me with any random advice and also, just some plain encouragement would be fantastic!

Thanks for your time everyone!
by lifelovelunch  

language 2007/11/28 11:11
It is nice to know so many foreigners trying hard to learn Japanese. For the Japanese it is also hard to learn English or other languages because our language is very different from others. For example, gramatically, Japanese words line in the opposit order to English.
So I think the best way for you to start is to learn simple words, hiragana and katakana as well as gramatical structures, before learning extra bits and pieces and complicated rules.
But the best way is to make Japanese friends in your country or even via email.
Good luck.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

online 2007/11/28 14:55
There is the option of taking online classes, where you communicate with an instructor through skype or video chat. If you want a teacher, try searching online as well :)
by Kate rate this post as useful

practice kanji site 2007/11/29 08:27
Have a look at the site jlpt.renshuu.org (no www). It has online quizzes at each level which allow you to learn/ practice your vocab and kanji.

I am taking Level 2 this weekend and have found that site very helpful.

Good luck with your study.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/30 02:00
By the way, which area of the states are you in? With the format of the JLPT I'm sure you could pass with self study, however in terms of learning practical Japanese, going o Japanese speaking groups or at least exchanging emails in Japanese makes a big difference. Sites like Mixi can be helpfull, thouh it might take a little while to figure out. If you hover your mouse over the buttons there though, you'll see the English words at the title bar at the bottom of the page.
by Paul rate this post as useful

go to japanesepod101.com 2007/12/21 18:59
japanesepod101.com

that's where I learned most of my basics. You can download their mp3 formats of lessons that you can transfer to your ipod and listen to it whenever and wherever. I reccomend the book 'Japanese for busy people I' (workbook and textbook) it has CD/Video tape too but its optional.
dewa, ganbate ne?
I hope this helps.. =)
by valerie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread