Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dilemma whether to buy JR Rail Pass...! 2007/11/28 15:54
Dear friends, I'm from Singapore and will be going to Japan for a 10-day free and easy trip with my boyfriend and his mother this coming March. It's our first time visiting the country. We will spend our first 2 nights in Kyoto and subsequent 7 nights in Tokyo, and our flight lands at Narita. We intend to travel by Shinkansen between Tokyo and Kyoto. My friends who've visited Japan before recommend JR Rail Pass. But, I've just learnt that JR Pass cannot be used on Tokyo subway lines which are more extensive in central Tokyo. Could anyone advise me if we are better off getting the JR Rail Pass or just buying train tickets for every single ride. I don't know how much exactly a two-way Shinkansen ride between Tokyo to Kyoto would cost and can't figure out which way would give savings on travel. Plus, the JR Rail Pass will expire after the 7th day of our visit which is 10 days. Thanks a lot.
by jemdude22  

... 2007/11/28 16:12
The shinkansen round trip between Tokyo and Kyoto alone justifies the purchase of the Japan Rail Pass:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html

If possible, I would also consider to fly into Osaka's Kansai Airport (near Kyoto) and leave through Tokyo's Narita Airport or the other way around.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Promo 2007/11/28 18:24
Hijemdude22, i'm from Singapore too. Will be going to Japan end of Mar 08. BTW, do you know that's early bird promotion for Northwest Air? $667 per tickets including tax. You may consider this promo if you haven't bought the tickets.

BTW, is worth getting at JR Rail Pass : )
by abyss rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/28 19:48
I'd definately recommend the JR pass. As mentioned the trip to Kyoto alone justifies this, plus meand you can visit places like Kamakura and Nikko (or other places such as Nara). You can still use the Yamanote line which goes to pretty much all the key places in Tokyo (apart from maybe Roppongi). I generally find I use this in Tokyo anyway. Saying that it isn't too bad for your average trip around Tokyo, but if you're doing any major distances in Japan the pass is well worth it plus it gives your plans some flexability.
by Paul rate this post as useful

re: Promo 2007/11/28 20:34
Hi abyss, yes! It is Northwest Airlines at $667 including taxes and everything booked online. It's a very good deal. I came across the ad on the papers two weeks ago and I have already bought our tickets. = ) I'm also going at the end of March 08 hoping to catch the cherry blossom season there. We'll fly on 26th March and return to Sg on 4 April. Thank you for tipping me the ticket info, that's very kind of you.
by jemdude22 rate this post as useful

Thank you for your advice!! 2007/11/28 20:38
Hi Uji and Paul, thank you very much for your advice! Really appreciate it. I will stick to JR Rail Pass plan then.
By the way, I may extend my stay in Kyoto for one more night and plan to take a day trip to Hiroshima. I will make good use of the Rail Pass. = )

JR Pass 2007/11/29 05:51
I second Paul and Uji. When in Tokyo I use the Yamanote (JR loop line)extensively. You can also use the JR pass to go from Kyoto to Arashiyama, Osaka, Nara, to Hiroshima etc. it is a great bargain.
I also use Kansai airport most of the time, except for the time when I went to Tokyo for a long weekend(from North America)
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Staying in Osaka only.. JR West pass ? 2007/11/29 07:27
Hi,

I will be going to Osaka KIX this coming monday ( 03/12/07 )

The plan is to travel only in from KIX airport to my hotel , which is near Uehommachi Station and to Kyoto for the day visit.

Is it more worth it to get the JR west pass or just the " Osaka One Day pass which cost 850 Yen per day .

The only concern is that it does not state clearly which are the lines I can use this ticket on.

Osaka One-Day Pass (850 Yen)
Unlimited use of subways, city buses and the New Tram, but excluding the OTS Line. On Fridays and on the 20th of each month (or the following day, if the 20th is a Sunday or public holiday), the One-Day Pass is called "No-My-Car-Day Discount Pass" and costs only 600 Yen. Available at subway stations and kiosks.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html

Please do advise

Thanks
by Ben rate this post as useful

.... 2007/11/29 13:54
Halo jemdude22,

That's very near to my dates too. I will be arriving on 29 Mar and leaving on 5 Apr. Wahaha.. So where do you intend to stay in Kyoto?

Not worth it 2007/11/29 14:14
I don't understand Uji's advice: "get a rail pass because you save money on the ROUND trip between Kyoto and Tokyo" then "AND fly in to one airport and leave by another", i.e. a SINGLE trip; (emphasis added by me).

Some mistake surely ?

Let me see, SINGLE on Nozomi, reserved seat ~13,000 yen compared with JR 7 day ordinary pass (not valid on Nozomi) 28,000 yen.

The original poster says they will spend time in Kyoto and Tokyo. Unless they will be visiting lots of other far away places I don't think it is worth it (a JR rail pass that is). Or did I miss something ?
by koan rate this post as useful

Uji advice 2007/11/29 14:40

Uji doesn't need me to defend his valuable advice..what he was saying was that if one uses Narita airport only a JR pass is worthwhile for the return trip from Tokyo to Kyoto
HOWEVER he also suggest a more elegant solution by landing in Kansai airport and visiting the Osaka-Kyoto area then going to Tokyo OBVIOUSLY with a one-way shinkansen ticket (surely one shouldn't have to spell everything??) and leave by Narita airport or vice versa (landing in Narita and leaving by KIX)
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/29 14:40
Uji was mentioning two different options.

1. get a rail pass. The cost will be recovered in your roundtrip travel between Tokyo and Kyoto.

2. Change your itinerary to fly into one city and out of another.

In the first situation the rail pass could be worth it as your local travel would essentially become free. In the second, a rail pass would be a waste of money.

To the original poster, I recommend spending more time in Kyoto and expand to Osaka and Nara while you're in the region. They are very close (around 30 min by train) to Kyoto.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

JR Rail Pass 2007/11/29 15:04
My wife and I are visiting Tokyo the last week in March. We'll be getting a JR rail pass as well. Even though we are staying the week in Tokyo we plan to make a trip or two outside of Tokyo to see more of the country. We haven't decided where to go yet but we are really excited.
by Eddie rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/29 16:59
Since you are NOT going to do an open-jaw (i.e. fly in one airport like say KIX and out another like say NRT), I also concur that a 7-day JRP makes sense for your plans.

This way, you can make extensive use of the shinkansen or limited express trains which allows you to get from one place to another quicker and in more comfort. I had a 14-day pass and really racked up some mileage on the shinkansen where I really profitted from it.
by Senbei rate this post as useful

hello abyss 2007/11/30 17:00
Hi abyss, we will be staying in a japanese inn very near to Kyoto station. It is within 9 minute walk. It is a ryokan recommended by some friends who stayed there before. It's called Tour club and heard it is nice and clean, and also inexpensive. I have booked a Japanese room with private bathroom for three. What about you? Where will u be staying? Your first time visiting Japan also?

... 2007/12/2 01:48
Hijemdude22, yes is my first time to Japan : )
I have not decide where to stay in Kyoto yet but i was introduce to K's house. mind giving me the link?

... 2007/12/2 02:14
Hi abyss, it is called Tour Club, a budget Japanses style inn very near to Kyoto station. I heard it is really nice and clean with friendly inn keepers. I have exchanged emails with the hotel staff and they are really friendly and very personalised from the way they replied my email and confirmed my reservation.
Here's the link, http://www.kyotojp.com/

reply to this thread