Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Christmas dinner in Kyoto? 2007/11/29 20:47
Hi, usually I'd avoid going to typical Western pubs, etc whilst in Japan, however, I'll be in Kyoto over Christmas. Is there anywhere I'm likely to get a Christmas dinner? Thanks in advance,
Paul
by Paul  

... 2007/11/30 10:30
You could always go to KFC and get a typical Japanese chrisms meal of fried chicken and Christmas cake (No Joke).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Hmm 2007/11/30 14:45
Someone posted the KFC response before in another thread, and I think it's really unhelpful unless you are meaning it as a joke. KFC is pretty ordinary. oily fried fare that isn't very much liked by most people I know. Except for their fries and sundaes :)

A traditional Christmas Dinner for Europeans, Australians and Americans consists of Roast Meat (Pork, Lamb, Chicken or Turkey), Roast Vegetables (Potato, Pumpkin/Squash, Carrots and Onions), Gravy, Sauces etc and Plum Pudding as a dessert.

I think you would have to do a lot of searching to find something like that in Japan - perhaps try the traditional english pubs or a large western hotel chain like The Hilton?

There is an Australia Club I think - or you can contact the local consulate for your country and ask them?
by Natalie rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/30 16:10
Someone posted the KFC response before in another thread, and I think it's really unhelpful unless you are meaning it as a joke. KFC is pretty ordinary. oily fried fare that isn't very much liked by most people I know. Except for their fries and sundaes :)

I was completely serious. I was suggesting that if you want to pursue a traditional Japanese Christmas meal then KFC fried chicken would be appropriate. They also offer whole roasted chickens during Christmas with all the fixings, which is a rare treat in Japan considering most people don't have ovens and it is difficult to find a whole bird at the grocery store. The meal also includes the traditional Christmas cake which is basically a strawberry shortcake.

It's also surprisingly expensive considering it's fast food with a typical meal for four costing between 5000-10000 yen. Personally though, I'll be roasting my own chicken (because I have the chicken and the oven), cause yea, I kinda find the idea of fast food on Christmas to be a little ridiculous too. But considering most people don't have the means to make their own Christmas dinner, the KFC option isn't that bad of a choice as it is the closest you can get to a traditional western Christmas meal in most parts of the country.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks... 2007/11/30 20:28
Thanks for the ideas. I guess the hotel thing could be an option. To be honest more of a sit down thing sounds good and I'll be there with a Japanes female friend so don't mind going somewhere a bit nicer (though a pub option sounds fine). Ironically the couple of Irish/English pubs I found were actually shut on the 25th. I'm sure there are some more options though. Sayint that I head Mos Burger are also doing a Christmas pack, though I think that's maybe for a different day...
by Paul rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/1 06:41
Christmas dinner in Kyoto can be found in some of the nicer hotels, such as the Westin Miyako, Hyatt, ANA, Granvia and Okura. You'll need to make a reservation and prepare to pay a big $$.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

Christmas 2007/12/2 14:05
not all Europeans, besides the English, have a roast or turkey , squash etc, and plum pudding for christmas!
in my part of Europe we had fresh oysters with special sausages stuffed with truffles, a whole roasted goose with stuffed tomatoes, brussel sprouts, scalloped potatoes, wild mushrooms etc and the dessert was a Yule log generously sprinkled with brandy. Since I moved to North America I can' t be bothered with these old Christmas dinners and sure wouldn't want one in Japan. .
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread