Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Go Nikko-rental mini van or train ride ? 2007/11/30 16:10
Anybody can advise, my group consists of 5 adults and 3 children. We plan to visit Nikko after returning from Hokkaido. Q1-Wonder is it better to rent a mini van(10 seaters) which cost Y$40,000. for 2 days from Nissan or should we go by train with all the free passes. Q2-Can anyone advise on the toll charges from Haneda Airport to Nikko and back to Tokyo ? Q3-If we drive from Haneda Airport from 1500 hrs what time can we reach Nikko ? Q4-Can we cover more places beside Nikko if we have our own transport compare to taking trains. Q5-Is there a pass for Nikko without the train ride and where to buy them ? Q6- Is there another rental company that rent a 10 seater van for a lower rate of Y$20,000 per day ?. Thanks everybody.
by Jack  

... 2007/11/30 18:00
Hi,

I'd probably advise taking the tobu line train still from Asakusa. If you're willing to take the normal train it's not too expensive (I think it was around Y2000 per adult return). It took around 2 hours (maybe slightly less) an we needed to change at Shimo-Imaichi. As for Nikko, there is a stall on the far side which does a combined ticket for all the temples which works out way cheaper (maybe it was Y1000). If you follow the road that goes up to Chuzenjiko it's there on the far side. A bit of Googling should help out. There's also the bus that goes up to Chuzenjiko, Mt Nantai and Kegon taki which I'd really recommend. Obviously you could see this if you went for the van option. There are some other places such as Usuki which you could see if you had the van. With the time it would take to drive across Tokyo and out I would have though it would be quicker by train, plus maybe there could be some toll roads? Obviously see what other people have to say but I hope that's a start.
by Paul rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/1 11:06
Wonder is it better to rent a mini van(10 seaters) which cost Y$40,000. for 2 days from Nissan or should we go by train with all the free passes.

The train is cheaper, but a van would offer more flexibility. Then again, driving through Tokyo is also quite stressful. So, instead of flying via Haneda, you might consider flying via Fukushima Airport. ANA operates flights between Sapporo and Fukushima. Fukushima Airport is closer to Nikko than Haneda Airport.

Can anyone advise on the toll charges from Haneda Airport to Nikko and back to Tokyo ?

The round trip costs you around 9000 yen.

If we drive from Haneda Airport from 1500 hrs what time can we reach Nikko ?

Around 17:00 without traffic jams. 30-60 minutes later if there are traffic jams in central Tokyo, which is likely on weekdays.

Can we cover more places beside Nikko if we have our own transport compare to taking trains.

Yes, you are likely to save some time thanks to the flexibility provided by the van.

Is there a pass for Nikko without the train ride and where to buy them ?

There is a pass for buses in the Nikko region and also a combination ticket for some attractions as mentioned by Paul. The bus pass should be available at Tobu Nikko Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks To paul & Uji 2007/12/1 13:23
Paul & Uji

Thanks for the infomation. I think I will take the van. By the way any good hotel or or hotspring resolt to recommend for Nikko Area ? Any must eat foods and snack at Nikko Area ?
Thanks alot
by Jack rate this post as useful

mini van 2007/12/1 19:24
hope that you are used to left-hand side driving and parking in very tight spots..
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Left or right hand drive in apan ? 2007/12/2 04:26
I remember Japan should be right hand drive. Hope I am Right.

... 2007/12/2 08:28
Left or right hand drive in Japan?

Left! More details:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2022.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Japan & Singapore drive on the same side 2007/12/2 20:23
Thanks to all

Japan and Singapore drives on the same side. What is important to me is the driver is seating on the right side of the car. Again thanks for the help.

reply to this thread