Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

shinkansen during peak holiday season 2007/11/30 17:06
hi!

Can I know how bad the travelling situation is during the peak travelling period from 28dec-3jan. Do I have to wait a whole day before I can get on the shinkansen to osaka from tokyo? I dont want my holiday plans disrupted because of long waiting time.
by 5mash  

... 2007/12/1 11:19
On December 29, most trains from Tokyo to Osaka will be booked out (many are already booked out by now), especially in the morning and early afternoon. December 30 will also be very busy, and the morning of December 31 is also quite busy.

In the opposite direction, the situation will be less extreme.

On January 2 and 3, the trains from Osaka in direction of Tokyo can be expected to be very busy.

Note that, even when trains are booked out, you can still ride them in the cars with unreserved seats, although, you will probably have to stand and it can get crowded.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Shinkansen 2007/12/1 21:49
Uji-san, what about during the Dec 21 to Dec 23 period? There is a public holiday on Dec 23. Will Shinkansen be very crowded going from OSAKA to TOKYO (Dec 21) and back (Dec 23)? Thanks.
by Susie rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/2 08:24
what about during the Dec 21 to Dec 23 period?

Some trains will be busy, but it will be nothing compared to the situation around New Year. You should have little problems making seat reservations one or a few days before or even on the day itself.

paek periods 2007/12/2 10:00
Thanks Uji-san for that information.
by Susie rate this post as useful

how about? 2007/12/3 08:32
We are planning to travel from Tokyo to Takayama on 2 January, do you think this would be possible. We will have JR Pass, and can book Shink tickets on our arrival in Narita 31/12.
by frequent flyer rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/3 11:01
We are planning to travel from Tokyo to Takayama on 2 January, do you think this would be possible.

Yes, it is always possible.

As for the situation of reserved seating being available or not, January 2 will be a very busy travel date in direction of Tokyo especially in the afternoon and evening. In the opposite direction, in which you will be traveling, the situation should be less extreme.

Also, the trains from Nagoya to Takayama seem to be busy in the early afternoon.

But I suspect that you should be able to make seat reservations on December 31, especially if you are somewhat flexible regarding the time of travel, e.g. by traveling in the morning instead of afternoon.

I'd like your opinion :) 2007/12/9 19:33
I'm arriving in Japan on Dec.30. I'm hoping to get a reserved seat from Tokyo to Osaka for Jan.5, departing in the morning. Then I'm going back from Osaka to Tokyo on the 7th, departing probably in the afternoon. Do you think the reserved seats will be all booked by the time I get there?
Thanks in advance!
by Alli rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/10 10:55
You should have no problems making seat reservations for both trips, especially if you make them as early as the 30th.

... 2007/12/12 14:27
Thank you very much Uji!
by Allison rate this post as useful

reply to this thread