Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to do on New Year's Day in Tokyo 2007/12/4 08:05
We will be in Tokyo on Jan 1st, 2 teenage boys and 3 adults. What to do on that day? Seems most Museums and shops are closed, will someone who knows Tokyo well and let us know? What do the Tokyo people do do on that day? If I take the boys to Harajuku, will the Cosplay kids be there on New Year's Day? Its not a Sunday, will they hangout anyways? Thanks for all answers.
by John Zee  

... 2007/12/4 08:17
People visit shrines and temples on January 1. Quite a few shops will actually be open, especially in the new shopping and entertainment centers, such as Odaiba, Shiodome and Roppongi.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks Uji 2007/12/4 08:38
Uji. What do we do if we want to visit these shrines and temples, not being Japanese, we would not know the customs and would not want to interfere any ceremonies or prayers. Is Sensoji a good place to go then, other may say its a big Tourist Trap!
by John Zee rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/4 09:09
What do we do if we want to visit these shrines and temples, not being Japanese, we would not know the customs and would not want to interfere any ceremonies or prayers.

There is not much you can do wrong. People go there to make a short prayer at the shrine's main building. The process is described here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2057.html

Popular shrines and temples, such as Meiji Shrine and Sensoji Temple, will be extremely crowded. You will have to stand in line for more than an hour to reach the main hall for a prayer. But it is also nice to just observe the action, absorb the atmosphere and check out the many food stands.

Is Sensoji a good place to go then, other may say its a big Tourist Trap!

As mentioned above, Sensoji is one of the most crowded spots. I have never been on New Year, and can't say whether it is too crowded to even enjoy the shops and food stalls in the area.

I certainly do not consider Sensoji a tourist trap, although it is touristy, and has been so for centuries. It is one of the nicest temples in Tokyo and the Nakamise shoppings street is very interesting. It has served temple visitors for centuries with local traditional sweets and handcrafts. I find it a wonderful experience to try some of the foods sold there.

About the Asakusa area:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3004.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread