Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo between the 29th Dec to 5 Jan? 2007/12/4 12:38
My wife and I are planning to visit Tokyo at the end of the year. However we were told that many of the places will be closed this time of the year. Is this true?

Also I am worried about accommodation, as I don't know if Ryokans would be operating during this time. Any advice on good ones with reasonable prices (USD100 per night)?

Thank you in advance.
by Bryan  

... 2007/12/4 18:14
To be honest there isn't too drastic a change. On the 1st a lot of places/museums are shut. Still though there are a good few shops that are open. Plus at the end of this there are the big sales and Fukubukuro (mystery bag) bargains. The only issue can be booking distance trips out of Tokyo (e.g Kyoto/Osaka) as they can be overbooked with people travelling. Getting to Yokahama and so forth was no problem though. Again whilst a few restaurants might sut on the 1st there's still plenty open and plenty to see.
by Paul rate this post as useful

Hello Kitty Land? 2007/12/6 13:06
Thanks for the update.

Btw does anyone know where is ''Hello Kitty Land'', my wife seems to be very keen to visit.
by bryan rate this post as useful

.... 2007/12/6 18:04
Hi, is this the place? If so it's on the West side of Tokyo:
http://www.puroland.co.jp/english/facilities.html
by Paul rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/12/6 18:06
YES! Thank you, that's the place alrite.

Looks abit cutesy to me, but O well.
by Bryan rate this post as useful

Year End/New Year 2007/12/6 18:48
Bryan, while YE/NY period used to be about the only time of the year when majority of shops and restaurants close, nowadays, you can eat and shop everywhere, any time of the year.

However, when touring in this period, you tend to end up finding that the "place you planned to go" are closed. So for example, if you definitely want to go to a shop called A or a restaurant called B, be sure to check in advance to see if they're opened or not, and be prepared to look for a alternatives if not. However, in large cities like Tokyo, there are usually plenty of alternatives just around the corner.

As for accomodation, YE/NY is the busiest season of the year for tourism. Although the huge population of cities tend to travel to resorts and countrysides, still you should book your accomocation in advance, as well as long distance train seats (however, you can stand inside most trains without reservation).

Btw, culturally speaking, NY/YE is the most unique period of the year in Japan. Be sure to check out busy markets like Ameyoko in YE, and be sure to visit shrines and temples in NY for crowds of worship and wagon venders.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Good point 2007/12/6 18:53
I plan to stay around Ueno area and the only real must go places is the Hello Kitty Land (my wife) and a nice onsen somewhere just outside of Tokyo. Will I need to make advance resv for the Onsen 1 night stay, or can I make arrangements upon arrival? Btw any good ones to recommend, it's the first trip to Japan for both my wife and me.

Thanks.
by bryan rate this post as useful

pre book 2007/12/6 19:10
Bryan,
If you are not fluent in Japanese language I strongly recommend to book your ryokan ( japanese guesthouse ) in an onsen ( spa town ) already now and via an English webside. Hakone is an onsen area near Tokyo and you can combine with a visit in Hakone area. If you want to have it totally fuss free you can book one of the sunrise tours offers Hakone and onsen
http://www.japanican.com/sunrisetours/FToursKensakuShosai.as...
by Peter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread