Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

on tattoos 2007/12/5 01:01
Now, I'm a first timer to tattoos so I'm looking for ideas for one. But for 3 weeks out of 2008 I'm going to go to Japan so I just want to know how same places view tattoos, I.e. What's considered okay. I like eastern religious symbols, especially with the meanings behind them. I also like supernatural creatures and depictions of other things for a full back tattoo. But I also know the yakuza have those kind of tattoos so I don't want to get pinned as a gang banger with one of those. And if I have any visible tattoos, would I not be allowed into certain places, like a temple or an onsen?
Final question is should I get my tattoos in Japan or here in the US?
by corinthianblue  

well... 2007/12/5 06:35
I have looked into this myself in preparation for a trip to Japan and here is what I've found. Tattoos will likely be an issue at some onsen, as tattoos are traditionally associated with crime in Japan. That being said, some onsen will not care at all, just shop around and ymmv.

As for where to get a tattoo, your focus should really be on WHO rather then WHERE. Japan certainly has a very strong tradition when it comes to tattooing (sp?), and some artists are capable of hand-tattoo (no machine) some of the most beautiful designs you can imagine. This won't be cheap (but then do you want a cheap tattoo? I think not...) and will be painful.

Just a little tidbit- Sailor Jerry, quite possibly the most influential and famous American tattoo artist of all time, was originally inspired and continually kept in touch with Japanese artists.
by bgalfond rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/5 08:49
I spent a few weeks there in Japan. During that time, my husband and I tried to track down a place/artist to do some tattos for us. we asked around alot, but came up empty handed. Should you find something, please post it, I'd love to be able to get one on my next trip.
by Nika rate this post as useful

reply to this thread