Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any tips for knowing real Japan? 2007/12/6 02:41
I'm planing to travel to Japan in spring, for second time, I've done the turistic staff and now I really like to get to know the real Japan and Japaness people. Can you give me any sugestions. Thank you
by candy33  

. 2007/12/6 10:48
I would suggest you to ask Japanese people "Please tell me your honne(–{‰¹)"
by . rate this post as useful

possibility 2007/12/6 11:09
I don't know that 2 visits to Japan makes you no longer able to enjoy further tourism, as traveling to smaller, less visited destinations makes it more likely that you'll encounter what you must feel is the 'real Japan'. One possibility is looking into a home stay there. I believe this site has info on such visits if you search for them.
by Tay rate this post as useful

Talk Talk Talk! 2007/12/6 12:38
Hi Candy

I am going on my second trip to Japan early Feb.

Last trip was spent going to shops I had on my wish list, visiting Tokyo and Kyoto - experiencing as much different foods and places as possible.

This time it is partly for business, but we decided to immerse ourselves in the culture more by staying in an apartment in a suburb, rather than a hotel in the city.

Also, we are learning Japanese and intend to visit remote towns on the north western side of Japan, where many Tourists just don't go.

Make sure you walk down the little allyways and streets and do not be scared to simply go into shops and talk to the people. I found everyone to be so friendly and keen to communicate.

School children especially love to practice their english on westerners - that is a good way to ask about their life style, family and hobbies!
by Natalie rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/6 15:08
Take a local train( you hardly see any tourists) to a town, which does not appear in your tour book, travel in local buses, take a dip in a suburban onsen, stay at the business hotel and eat at places that do not have English menu. Hopefully, this will serve as prelude and give you a glimpse of an average Japanese and the "true" Japan.
Enjoy your trip!
by tju rate this post as useful

real Japan 2007/12/6 16:33
I second Natalie. Even in Tokyo there are residential areas that are the real Japan while, on the other hand,a small place out in the boonies may be a touristy place or be totally boring. And what is wrong with touristy places? all the famous shrines in Japan for example (just like the most famous shrines in Europe)were first built to accommodate local worshipers many centuries ago and the crowds of people in these places are also the true Japan (or France or Italy etc. if you are in Europe). Just because you visit a small place that no other tourist has ever visited (highly unlikely in any major country)doesn't necessarily make it an amazing experience.
as Natalie notes, try to "talk" to locals, even if it is only with a few words, smiles and hand gestures.
Automated parking towers, huge video screens, vending machines, trains and subways, this is all the real Japan!
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Re: Any tips for knowing real Japan? 2007/12/6 17:45
I would suggest leaving the Pacific coast and head to the other side of Japan. We had a great time taking the local trains in that area and staying in small towns. One of the remarkable towns we visted was Tawarayama in Yamaguchi-ken, a lovely onsen town where not too many tourists visit (yet).

The Mara Kannon fertility temple a little bit outside of Tawarayama is a bit famous and not to be missed but can be a bit of a shock for the unaware tourist :-)
** The following link is probably not work-safe **
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2764553840037002407btFOqB
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Mushrooms 2007/12/6 19:10
Kappa what do oversized mushroom statues have to do with fertility? :)
by Redrum rate this post as useful

reply to this thread