Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2nd time to Japan - Kyoto or Osaka? 2007/12/6 03:28
We are planning to drop by Japan en route to another destination in Asia; the latter is for a family visit. We will be carrying large, fairly heavy, roll-on luggage - since we are en route to visit family, we will be carrying souvenirs.

We have gone all around Tokyo 2 years ago, and would like to see another Japan destination. We only have 5 nights and 6 days, the 6th day being the day we fly out from Narita International to our next destination in Asia. This being the case, should we visit Kyoto, or Osaka? Which one will be most pleasant for us to visit, taking into account our heavy luggage and limited time in Japan, this second time around?

Your insights are most appreciated.
by Japan_2ndTimer  

... 2007/12/6 08:41
It depends on your personal interest!

About Osaka:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2157.html

About Kyoto:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2007/12/6 11:02
If you've never been to Kyoto, I'd recommend there. In addition to Kyoto's attractions, there are day trips to other interesting venues. The issue of luggage is an important one, but whether Kyoto or Osaka shouldn't be an issue in that matter, except that if using a Shinkansen there will be no train change needed to Kyoto. Getting to Osaka involves a train change at Shin Osaka, I think. Please, someone correct me if this is an error.
by Tay rate this post as useful

Osaka 2007/12/6 11:37
International flights will take you to either Kobe (with very limited flights) or the Kansai International Airport in Osaka. So most likely you will start out in Osaka, but Kyoto is very close and easy to get to. You could easily stay in Osaka and make short day trips to Kyoto or vice versa. The area is much easier to get around (and less confusing for tourists) than the Tokyo area.

If you are interested in Japanese culture, you will find much to do in Kyoto, but will still find time to visit Osaka-jo (Osaka's castle) or a few other destinations.
by zoogy rate this post as useful

Kyoto or Osaka 2007/12/6 12:48
You did not name your arrival airport, Narita or Kansai. Arriving at Kansai and leaving from Narita is best but more likely you're arriving in Narita and leaving from Narita. If so, you can buy a JR Rail Pass. With the JR Rail Pass, catch NEX-Narita Express to Tokyo Station and Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Osaka or Kyoto. This assumes your early afternoon arrival at Narita. Again, arriving at Kansai is better.

Instead of Kyoto OR Osaka, why not visit both places plus Nara? If you have more places to see in Kyoto, then stay at a hotel in Kyoto near Kyoto Station. ShinOsaka is 15 minutes by train and Osaka about 30 minutes. Nara is about 45 minutes by train for a half day morning or afternoon excursion.

Because you have only 5 nights and depending on how many places you want to visit in Kyoto and Osaka, you can decide not to go to Nara.

As for your bulky luggage, you can advance research where you can store the bulky luggage preferably at Narita Airport and move about with less bulky luggage on wheels. If you arrive in Kansai, you can forward the luggage to Narita Airport for pick-up before your departure.

I assume that your departure flight out of Narita will be in the early evening meaning that you will use your JR Rail Pass from Kyoto or Osaka to Narita Airport via NEX from Tokyo Station.

You surely will enjoy your vistion to the Kansai area. Have a safe and nice trip.

by Harold rate this post as useful

NEX is covered by the JR Rail Pass? 2007/12/7 02:03
Thanks Everyone, for taking the time to answer my question.

Harold, do you know for sure if NEX is covered by the JR Rail Pass? Also, do you have additional information on keeping luggage at Narita?

Thanks so much for everyone's time.
by Japan_2ndTimer rate this post as useful

.. 2007/12/7 04:01
I'd do Kyoto, even if you dont care to see the historic stuff, its a better city then Osaka.

The NEX is covered by the JR pass.
by Jeremy rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/7 04:10
If you want to go to Osaka or Kyoto, fly into KIX. You'll save money and time. Leave your luggage at the airport for sure.

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/index.asp

Click on services and facilities.

by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

Osaka 2007/12/7 04:29

I have been to Osaka 7 times so far and much prefer it to Kyoto. the shopping facilities alone,not to mention the striking modern buildings, in both Kita and Minami, are excellent. of course I also go to Kyoto for sightseeing..
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

depends.. 2007/12/7 10:09
As others have said, it really depends on your interests. If you want to spend your days shopping and dining Osaka is better, if you want to see historical sites then Kyoto is better.

Personally I like to stay in Osaka, as it is in easy travel distance of Kyoto. Osaka has the better night life and things are open later, while there isn't much to do in Kyoto after the tourist areas close down.
by Robyn rate this post as useful

Oops 2007/12/7 13:03
Most likely you will be flying an out of Narita (I overlooked that part).

All places have their good and bad, and Osaka and Kyoto are in many ways quite different. I really like Osaka for its friendly, upbeat atmosphere, but Kyoto offers a little of the same. If you want an experience that is the most different from Tokyo, focus on Kyoto--plus Kyoto isn't crowded and easier to get around in a short amount of time.

The time of year makes a difference too. Kyoto is well known for its Fall and Spring colors. During the winter, Kyoto is much colder than Osaka, and hotter in the summer.

Regardless, you should still have some time for both.
by zoogy rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/7 18:23
International flights will take you to either Kobe (with very limited flights) or the Kansai International Airport in Osaka.

Kobe Airport handles no international flights, at all.
by Uji rate this post as useful

2nd time japan 2007/12/17 14:30
kyoto and osaka r so near to each other so u can stay what ever u like for me i will tell u to stay in osaka and u can come kyoto by train only 30 mins with one cost 2 to 3 US dolar. have a good trip. Mike +81-08037850652
by mike rate this post as useful

Both! 2007/12/17 17:11
If you take an airpolace, the way is like Narita - Kansai air port(Osaka) - Kyoro - Kansai air port(Osaka) -Narita
So if you would like to visit Kyoto and Osaka, you waste much time on moving from Osaka to Kyoto and Kyoto to Osaka.

How about using the bullet train one way, like
Narita - Kansai airport - stay in Osaka for 2 or 3days -Kyoto(stay for 2days or so) and then take the bullet train to Tokyo then Narita
Or
Narita - Tokyo - take the bullet train to Kyoto(stay for 2-3days) - Osaka(stay for 2days or so) to Kansai air port

This way you don't have to waste time. And 5-6days only in Osaka or Kyoto might be boring though relaxing.
by crouton1 rate this post as useful

kyoto 2007/12/18 14:02
Osaka is 16 min from Kyoto by shinkansen. I would stay in Kyoto myself. It is one of the only cities not bombed during WW2 so it's pretty much intact. The temples and gardens are beautiful as well as nearby Arishiyama. Kyoto station is gigantic offering shopping and entertainment. Nice bicycle routes along the Kamo River and also Nijo Castle and the Imperial Palace are worth visiting. Nara is a short train rode from Kyoto as well as Uji (beautiful temple there).
Hope you enjoy your trip.
by Steve rate this post as useful

reply to this thread