Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass use on 7th day 2007/12/7 02:42
Hi there,
purchased a 7 day JR pass and
planning to use my first trip on DEC10th in the morning from OsaKa, However my plans were to leave from Tokyo back to OSaka to catch a plane on Dec17th around 2PM. That would make it 7 days and 4 hours.. is that possible or pass expires on the dot 7 days later?
by Rod  

... 2007/12/7 03:50
Am sure if the gate person really wanted to, they could find out the exact time the pass was no longer valid. However rarely do they really look at them, a simple glance of the pass is all thats required for them to let you pass though. With that being said, I have used at times a day expired pass to travel around, with no problems, as in major areas during busy times, they have other things to do, then actually look at the date printed on it. Which is only really visible when you hold in your hand.

OK to actually answer your question, the pass only has the day it expires and not the time, So more the likely you can use the pass the entire day, unless you give a reason for the gate person to put any effort into investigating, which is highly unlikely.
by Jeremy rate this post as useful

JR Pass 2007/12/7 03:58
days on the JR Pass are calendar days, they do not overlap on 2 successive days.
each day on the JR pass starts right after midnight and ends the same day just before midnight. If you were to use it for the first time at 10 pm.22:00 on the 24 hrs clock) you would use a full day of the pass.
if you start your pass anytime on Dec. 10 it ends on Dec.16 at midnight. However if you start a train trip at 10 or 11 pm that last day and are still on the train by 2 in the morning JR will not charge you extra.
you have to find out how many trips you will take on Dec. 10 and on Dec. 17, how much they will cost and decide if it is better to start your pass on the 10 or the 11.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/7 04:03
If you activate your pass on the 10th, it's good through 16th--10,11,12,13,14,15, and 16, right? You may go through the gates unnoticed but if you're using the shinkansen from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka, the conductor will sure to catch you. Every passenger on every shinkansen is inspected for a ticket by a conductor, no exceptions.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/7 04:52
Rod, the Pass is valid on calendar days from midnight to midnight. So if you activate the pass on the 10th it ends on the 16th. The 10th is day 1.

Tokyonet:
Every passenger on every shinkansen is inspected for a ticket by a conductor, no exceptions.

I've been on a dozen Shinkansen rides just a month ago, never once had the conductor check my ticket. In the few times I sat in the RESERVED section, the conductor only checked my reserved seating ticket, but never my actual ticket. When I sat in the unreserved car, the conductors on multiple trains never checked anyone's.

However this was on Hikari and Kodama Shinkansens, it maybe different on the Nozomi.

The only times tickets were actually checked was at the entrance gate by station staff (the tickets I had were paper tickets that couldn't be used at the automatic gate).
by John rate this post as useful

.... 2007/12/7 05:47
I am not saying it wont happen, but I have never seen the conductor check for tickets on any of many, many times I have been on the Nozomi and Harkari, thoughout all area of Japan that they run though.

Only once was I, well everyone was ask to present their tickets was on the express train that runs from Osaka to Takayama. In which case, I just quickly flashed my JR pass and that was it.

. 2007/12/7 05:48
Thank you, John for clarifying. I always use Nozomi trains, reserved seat, so that's the difference.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

error correction 2007/12/7 05:49
I meant Nagoya to Takayama, not Osaka

.. 2007/12/7 05:52
I wish there was a edit feature.
Let me say, I never seen the conductor ask for tickets on non-reserved seats on any JR train, expect of every trip I took on the rapid express that goes to Takayama from Nagoya, everyone was ask to present tickets.

JR PASS USE ON 7th DAY 2007/12/7 07:53
Thanks heaps guys!
I'm the one who asked the initial question.This is really helpfull and you guys just saved me a headache.
Since i was under the impression that 1 week meant from the 10th till the 17th inclusive.Now if i undertstan correctly. In order to take the train from Tokyo to OSaka on the 17th(read long and more expensive) i will not be able to use it at all on Dec 10th correct? THANK YOU!!
by Rod rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/7 08:43
Every passenger on every shinkansen is inspected for a ticket by a conductor, no exceptions.

JR East never checks tickets on their shinkansen line, unless you sit on a reserved seat that is not supposed to be occupied according to the conductor's database.

On the Tokaido Shinkansen, I had the impression that all tickets were always being checked. But it seems this is not the case in unreserved cars. I have only been using reserved seats in recent years, and always get checked. I never tried showing only the reservation ticket, though. I always show the base fare ticket, too, by default.

Can't remember the situation on the Sanyo and Kyushu Shinkansen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread