Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

No fresh sashimi in the new years days? 2007/12/7 04:25
Hope some Tokyo sushi connoisseur will tell me. We will be in Tokyo dec31-Jan4, unfortunately Tsukiji Fish Market is closed from 30th-5th. Does that mean there will be no fresh seafood in those days in Tokyo? I really picked the wrong time to be there!
by John Zee  

New Year 2007/12/7 09:12
I'd say that probably does mean there will be no or very little fresh seafood in Tokyo, although frozen is no doubt still available.

Traditional New Year's food is pre-prepared food which lasts a while called osechi- probably for the exact reason that you mentioned.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/7 10:17
That's right. Many good restaurants, will have a reduced menu during the New Year's days due to the markets' closure.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Darn!!! 2007/12/7 10:44
Being in Tokyo and not eating fresh Sashimi is like having a bath and not use any soap! How about the 31st! I will be there in the afternoon, if I rush over to Tsukiji's Sushi Dai, will they still have some fresh fish? Please tell me so, mercy!!
by John Zee rate this post as useful

no soap in the bath 2007/12/7 11:02
Well, in Japan you don't use soap in the bath anyway... ;-)
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thanks Sira 2007/12/7 11:31
Guess it's fine if the partner you are bathing with doesn't mind!*o*

Supermarkets. 2007/12/7 19:08
Well, really, they'll still have sashimi in supermarkets, and unless you're truly a top connoisseur you won't taste the difference. Foreigners and most Japanese probably don't, since supermarket fish is very fresh as well.
by Kyami rate this post as useful

Not really 2007/12/8 02:07
Kyami, I once had a Nigiri sushi from a joint under the Shinjuku line, well, I could taste that its not fresh.

Sorry 2007/12/8 08:45
Sorry I didn't make it clear, I was referring to supermarket fish versus Tsukiji fish. Old or unfresh fish is a different story of course.
by Kyami rate this post as useful

I see 2007/12/8 10:03
Thanks Kyami, but I was really hoping someone would tell me if I rush over to Tsukiji market's Sushi restaurants on the 31st afternoon, will the stuff still be fresh? Consider that the 30th was the last working day there?

... 2007/12/8 10:15
Just like the market itself, most restaurants on the market will also be closed on December 31, I believe. But good sushi and sashimi should still be available at other restaurants around Tokyo. Just not the freshest of the fresh.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread