Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

help with Japanese characters 2007/12/7 12:12
I've been looking for Japanese characters for the seven deadly sins and heavenly virtues. The sins are as follows: pride, greed, envy, wrath, lust, gluttony, and sloth. The virtues are faith, hope, charity, fortitude, justice, temperance, and prudence. I would like the characters or the romanized words for each of these. Help is appreciated. Thanks

Travis
by Travis  

kanji 2007/12/7 19:31
My translation may not be perfect for the purpose of translation.But please see below;
pride(高慢kouman), greed(欲張りyokubari), envy(嫉妬shitto), wrath(怒りikari), lust(肉欲nikuyoku), gluttony(鱒Hboushoku), and sloth(怠惰taida). The virtues are faith(信仰shinkou), hope(希望kibou), charity(慈善jizen), fortitude(勇気yuuki), justice)正義seigi)
, temperance(禁酒or節制kinshu or sessei), and prudence(慎ましさtsutsumashisa).
by mamiko rate this post as useful

thanks 2007/12/8 00:22
Appreciate it. It seems the site I was using had almost all the sins kanji wrong when I compared it to my english-Japanese dictionary. Just needed to be sure.
by corinthianblue rate this post as useful

just to keep in mind 2007/12/8 10:14
Note that Chinese language and Japanese language are completely different although they both use same letters which in Japan are called kanji.
by Uco rate this post as useful

kanji 2007/12/8 11:37
Just a small note for the kanji.
Many of the Chinese characters used in China differ from ours because they simplified the characters long time ago. In fact quite a few of them are difficult to understand for the Japanese.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread