Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

$5,000 enough for Tokyo? 2007/12/7 12:55
Hi there,

I have a tentative trip planned to Tokyo in June 2008 for the entire month. This will be my first time in Tokyo.

I am lucky enough to have a place to stay with a friend both in Tokyo and Kyoto. This is the interesting part. We have known each other for a long time, but only online. We get along very very well.

I was actually going to go to beijing for a holiday, but we started talking and then somehow it ended up with me going to Japan to stay with her for a month. She said she will pick me up from the airport and even wants me to stay with her at her place.

Anyway, I am not reading much into this as I am just going over as her good friend and she wants to show me her culture, which I absolutely love and have been really researching it for many years now incase I was going to go over.

But, that is something where nature will run its course.

Im budgeting about $10,000AU for the month, but this includes airfare also. Will $5,000AU be enough for the month, this would be for food, going out and just your typical spending.

I really want to fly business class for this, hence my question on the $5,000.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

by Nikay  

More than enough! 2007/12/7 18:48
Having in count that youLre going to save money at sleeping youLll have more than enough money to do what you want ;)
by Aerond rate this post as useful

is it enough ?? 2007/12/7 20:20
how much is a business return flight ?? where are you flying from ?
by gozomark rate this post as useful

Making Plans myself 2007/12/7 20:54
I'm making plans myself for a month. Including attractions from Skiing in Hakuba, Kawaguchi hot springs and Fuji-Q among other things. The estimate for my trip is $6000 AUD. My Accomodation costs is roughly $2000 of that amount so 5 grand will do you fine.

You could save money by having a specified rail pass, for example a JR West Kansai Pass for when you stay in Kyoto. I plan on having the 4 day pass when I land in Osaka and have my JR Rail Pass (Green) activate on the 5th before I head out of that area.

by Very Fat Bastard rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/8 07:45
It obviously comes down to the cost of your business class flight. Depending on the season and airline, I guess this can be close to $5000 by itself.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Australia 2007/12/8 08:24
Hi, thanks for the replies. I will be flying from Sydney, Australia. The business class trip with Singapore airlines is roughly $5,400. I will most likley have more than the $10,000, that was just an estimate for myself so I dont over do things.

I thought, if im going to go for such a long flight, might aswell be alittle comfortable for it :)

Again, thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
by Nikay rate this post as useful

Very Jealous Bastard 2007/12/8 09:18
Spending alot on comfort but I know some people with back problems who see that its more than worth it. So while I'm stuck in economy for mine know that I'm going to be jealously thinking of you! I love Singapore airlines.

Enjoy your trip!

by Very Fat Bastard rate this post as useful

Business 2007/12/8 15:15
The direct flight from Sydney is about 9 hours, which I don't consider to be long!!! I've flown many time from Austalia to Sweden, when it takes around 25 hours!!!!

You can save $3500-$4000AUD by flying economy class, and spending it on some very comfortable weekend trips in Japan to Onsen hotels, etc with your friend!!!!
by Sandy rate this post as useful

I know :) 2007/12/8 15:29
I know I could save that money and have more to spend while im there. But to be honest with you, I am not really thinking of money. This will be a once in a lifetime thing for me, so Im going all out from beginning to end.

Like I said, the 10k is just a line in the sand, which can easily be erased and drawn alot further away :)

Ooops 2007/12/8 15:36
Sorry about that, I accidentally posted my reply :)

To continue, I was going to say that while I said not thinking about money, I just wanted to know if 5k would be enough to spend there for a month, so I was thinking about money for that.

But, seeing that I do want this to be a one in a million trip, I will not really concern myself with the cost of things and just do it the way I want to! :)

Oh, and dont worry, I will be taking my friend to special places, I just need to research and pry her for information as to where and where not she has been.

reply to this thread