Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I ask my friend to buy JR Rail pass? 2007/12/9 16:54
Now, I'm stay in Japan w/ temporary VISA. My VISA will be expired on next Jan/M, 2008. I would like to sightseeing in Japan during New year period. My friend will come to Japan on Dec/E. Can I ask him to buy JR Rail pass from my country and activate the tickey here?
by Suu  

. 2007/12/10 11:46
No, when the pass is activated, your passport and visa will be checked. Don't cheat. The JR Pass is there for a tourist.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/10 12:05
He's not trying to cheat, he's there on a temporary visitors permit, the only problem is you cannot buy a Japan Rail Pass in Japan.

The answer is, Yes it is possible to purchase a Japan Rail Pass overseas and have someone mail it to you in Japan and you activate the JR Pass.

However however purchases it overseas needs to put it in your name and thats the tough part. If you order it online (I know you can do it in the US) but I don't know about other countries, you can have your name on it, charged to your credit card and mailed to an address in the US. Have someone pick it up and mail it to you in Japan.
by John rate this post as useful

JR Rail Pass 2007/12/10 15:25
John,
you buy the Exchange Order for the JR Railpass abroad. This can be done by a third person. But as soon as you exchange the Exchange Order to the JR Railpass in Japan your passport will being checked. Same name as on the exchange order and 'temporary visitor' stamp in the passport. As Suu cannot supply the 'temporary visitor' stamp, JR will not exchange the Exchange Order bought by his friend. Suu cannot use JR Rail Pass.
by Peter rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/10 15:37
But as soon as you exchange the Exchange Order to the JR Railpass in Japan your passport will being checked. Same name as on the exchange order and 'temporary visitor' stamp in the passport. As Suu cannot supply the 'temporary visitor' stamp, JR will not exchange the Exchange Order bought by his friend. Suu cannot use JR Rail Pass.

According to his post, Suu has temporary visitor's status, according to his post.
Suu writes "Temporary VISA".
Therefore he should have no problem exchanging for a JR Pass if his friend got one with his name on it.
by John. rate this post as useful

temp VISA or temp visitor 2007/12/10 16:04
John,
If Suu actually has the 'temporary visitor' stamp in his passport he can ask his friend to buy the Exchange Order in his name in his home country, bring it to Japan and Suu can exchange to JR Rail Pass, this is legal. If he has any other VISA and therefore no 'temporary visitor' stamp in his passport, he cannot exchange the Exchange Order.
by Peter rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/10 16:26
Having an Actual temporary visitors visa and visiting under visa waiver (not having to apply for a visa) are the same thing.

The status in Japan under a Temporary Visa or Visa waiver is still Temporary Visitor.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread