Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice about Yakushima 2007/12/11 07:57
I have recently read about Yakushima, and my friend and I really want to go! If you have been, what was your experience like?

Do you think it is safe to go on a 3 day trek up to the summit in Winter (around Feb)?

What is the cheapest method to get there, and if we have to take an internal flight, how far in advance would flights need to be booked?

Thanks for your help!
by Rowan  

... 2007/12/11 08:21
Do you think it is safe to go on a 3 day trek up to the summit in Winter (around Feb)?

I strongly recommend to visit Yakushima between late spring and early autumn.

What is the cheapest method to get there

Depends where you are coming from. Depending on where you are coming from, you might have direct flights from your home country to only Tokyo, some other major airports, maybe Fukuoka Airport or even Kagoshima Airport.

From Kagoshima, you can take a flight or boat to Yakushima. The boat is a little bit cheaper, especially the car ferry (as opposed to the high speed boats).

If you come from Tokyo, then a domestic flight is likely to be the cheapest and fastest option.

if we have to take an internal flight, how far in advance would flights need to be booked?

It depends on the season and type of ticket. The busier the season, the earlier you should book. Inside Japan, reservations are possible from two months before departure date. If you don't use an air pass, I strongly recommend to make reservations at least 28 days before departure, when you can profit from the big advance purchase discounts:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

I am interested also 2007/12/11 14:44
Uji, you write:
I strongly recommend to visit Yakushima between late spring and early autumn.

I was thinking of winter. How inadvisable is it outside of the seasons you mentioned?
Is it a problem of typhoons? cold temperature? transport access?

You mention a domestic flight from Tokyo. Do you mean to Kagoshima or to Yakushima itself?
by Ian rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/12/11 19:59
Thank you for the info, I think I may take a plane down to Kagoshima, then take the ferry.
Now with that recommendation, does that mean it will be a little uncomfortable, or I will have high chance of something bad happening. I REALLY want to go to Yakushima as part of our Japan trip! It looks amazing!
by Rowan rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/11 22:01
How inadvisable is it outside of the seasons you mentioned?

Frankly I don't know the details. I am not sure whether it is dangerous, but I imagine it to be uncomfortable.

There are no typhoons. I imagine low temperatures in the higher elevations to be the most uncomfortable. And there is usually snow on the summits, which, I imagine, can make it dangerous. As for the weather, it is rainy around the year.

You mention a domestic flight from Tokyo. Do you mean to Kagoshima or to Yakushima itself?

I meant to Kagoshima. The only flights to Yakushima depart from Kagoshima.

... 2007/12/11 22:03
If you leave the summits alone, trekking (for example to the Jomon Sugi) seems to be possible relatively easily around the year.

... 2007/12/11 22:12
Thanks!
by Ian rate this post as useful

reply to this thread