Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Permanent residency 2007/12/12 08:19
For as long as i can remember, I've always wanted to go to Japan. Recently, however, I've found myself wanting to move there. How hard is it to obtain permanent residency in Japan (specifically as an American, if it's any different)?
Also, how hard is it to live in Japan if you don't speak any Japanese? I intend on learning some before i move (or even if i don't), but I'm sure even if i did my Japanese would be so undeveloped it will be the same as not knowing any.
by Phoatu  

faq 2007/12/12 10:04
Phoatu,

Thinking about permanent residence before you have even stepped foot in the country is very premature. The application process itself is not especially difficult, but as you need to have been living in the country for 5 to 10 years, you should to be looking at other ways to get on the first rung of the ladder. As an American, you need to be looking at working (with a work visa which requires a university degree) or studying (with a student visa which requires financial funds). I personally would recommend visiting the country for a short period first to find out whether it really is the land of your dreams.
As for Japanese ability, life on your own can be quite tough without knowing at least some Japanese if you expect to deal with banks and estate agents etc.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/12 10:04
You cannot just come and stay and get permanent residence status. First you need a proper visa to enter and stay and do activities you want (study, work, etc.) After staying for a certain period of time plus fullfilling the certain requirements, you'll be qualified to apply for the permanent residence in Japan.

If you are realyl serious, check out the "Living" section of japan-guide.com, there are detailed explanation on various visa and status of residence in Japan.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html
Permanent residence

Foreign residents who have shown good conduct and have sufficient assets or ability to make an independent living, can be granted permanent residence if they reside in Japan for typically ten or more consecutive years (less in case of spouses of Japanese nationals and people who have made significant contributions to Japanese society). Permanent residence status is indefinite and allows any paid activity.
by . rate this post as useful

reply to this thread