Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dental treatment in Japan 2007/12/13 01:58
Hi everyone!

Me and my friend visit Japan for 5 weeks. :-)

My friend is concerned about one tooth, which sometimes hurts a little bit. She has already visited her dentist, but he told her that there can be nothing seen on the x-ray/roentgen.

We will be in in Japan during New Year's holidays and in quite remote areas in Northern Japan.

My question: do hospitals in major cities (like Sapporo) provide dental treatment too? Or are there dentists, who provide emergency medical service during holidays? I have a travel issurance which pays for dental treatment too - but I have to pay in advance. How expensive can such a treatment be? Anyone has helpful experiences?
by Zuckerbussi  

... 2007/12/13 10:49
In Japan, most dentists have their own office outside of the hospital and in holiday season, they take turns providing emergency services.

If your friend needs to see the dentist, I suggest you to ask your hotel to let you know the dentist open for the day.

Considering that you are a tourist, however, I don't think a dentist gives her major treatment. Probably, he/she prescribes pain killers and antibiotics to control the pain. You're asked to pay about 3000 yen as "first visit fee" and cost for specific treatment. My guess is 10,000-20,000 yen.
by JLady rate this post as useful

Thx 2007/12/13 20:55
Thanks a lot for that information! Hopefully we won't need any doctors :-)
by Zuckerbussi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread