Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hand made Udon 2007/12/13 02:42
A lot has been said about handmade ramen restaurants. Are there any Udon places in Tokyo that serves it handmade? I am sure there's a big difference in the chewiness. Please yell me where. Thanks.
by John Zee  

hand-made udon 2007/12/13 11:05
Yes, there is a hand-made udon restaurant called 'Teuchi-udon Sanuki-ya' in Ohtsuka, Tokyo.
Sanuki-udon is one of the most delicious,chewy and popular udon in Japan.
The nearest station to the restaurant is Gokokuji of the Yurakucho line.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/13 18:58
I have a curious question.

If Sanuki Udon originates from another prefecture, then are they hand-made in Tokyo in the same style and same wheat or were they made wherever Sanuki is?

I know Inaniwa Udon at least looks fairly different to the run of the mill udon, but it seems to me like Sanuki Udon looks just like any other Udon? So if its made in Tokyo will it become a Tokyo udon instead?
by Blanc rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/12/14 02:28
Thanks both for your input:

Mamiko:
When I checked Google about Sanuki Udon, this is what I got.
http://www.hanamaruudon.com/index.html
It seems a franchise operation with many shops, is it the place? Or the location you gave me at Gokokuji is the only one, how do you get there from the Train station?

Blanc:
For Inaniwa Udon, is there a Udon shop in Tokyo? From the web site, seems all the locations are far away.
http://www.inaniwa-udon.co.jp/english/
by John Zee rate this post as useful

Udon made right in the restaurant 2007/12/15 04:42
This is my supplementary question: I really meant noodles that are made right there at the restaurant, maybe only sell it the same day. Sanuki Udon has many many franchise stores, I can't imagine the stuff is made there. Anyone who knows?
by John Zee rate this post as useful

sanuki udon 2007/12/15 09:35
Hi, John
The udon restaurant I mentioned in Gokokuji offers you a good noodles hand-made in the same way as in Sanuki, Shikoku. It is located within the Gokoku-ji temple compounds near the Gokokuji station of the Yurakucho line.You can try and taste it if you like.
The phone number is 03-3946-2355. It is open between 11am and 3pm, and between 5pm and 8pm during the week and only between 11am and 3pm on Saturdays.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/15 12:12
If Sanuki Udon originates from another prefecture, then are they hand-made in Tokyo in the same style and same wheat or were they made wherever Sanuki is?

Good question! Sanuki refers to present day Kagawa Prefecture on Shikoku. I think the fact that the udon were made in Kagawa or according to a Kagawa recipe makes them "Sanuki Udon". The origin of the wheat seems to be of secondary importance as a lot of Sanuki Udon in Kagawa is actually made using wheat from other prefectures, such as Gunma Prefecture.
by Uji rate this post as useful

inaniwa udon 2007/12/28 17:07
Just last week, my wife and I had some wonderful homemade Inaniwa udon in Kakunodate, Akita prefecture. The noodles are made in the restaurant, Fukiya, and served direct from the kitchen. They are thiner, smooth and chewy. Very different from the usual udon we had before in Japan.
by tju rate this post as useful

reply to this thread