Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Currency exchange in Japan 2007/12/13 10:23
At which Japanese banks can I convert Australian dollar for Japanese Yen? I know about Travellex and credit cards, but I prefer to keep cash and I want to know what other options that I might have. Thank you!
by Jin  

g'day mate 2007/12/13 12:27
you don't need a bank. postofffice ATMs will accept your aussie credit card and give a good rate. it even has english display.

although i have never done it you can also use the ATMs in seven eleven convenience stores.
by joseph rate this post as useful

change 2007/12/13 12:45
You don't want to change AUD in a Japanese bank.

The nominal rate is around 99yen per AUD. If you change it in a bank in Australia, you will get about 96 or 97yen per $1 AUD. If you change it at the airport in Australia, you will get about 95 or 96yen per $1 AUD.

If you change it in a Japanese bank, you will get 88 or 89yen per $1 AUD!!!!!

Don't do it!!!
by Sandy rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/13 13:17
I have also found that the ATMs in convenience stores are a good way to get money with an EC card.
I don't even have a real credit card. :)
by Haf rate this post as useful

watch the rate 2007/12/13 13:19
Check the exchange rate out and watch it fluctuate, the JPY against the AUD goes up and down like a yo-yo! It was at around 90jpy to 1aud in July went up to something like 107 in Sept/Oct (thats nearly 20% more jpy for a $.) Its now back around 97, if your not going for a while id monitor it and hedge your bets and buy a few hundred AUD's worth every now and again at the time you feel is right, get it from the post office, they order it in and dont charge commission.
by steve rate this post as useful

change it in oz! 2007/12/13 13:56
i just got back from japan on the weekend and definitely get your money before you go over! i ended up finding a good rate with commonwealth bank - ordered all the money online, paid with bpay (so you dont need to be a customer of theirs) and got it delivered to my local branch. you also guarantee you can get all your money in one go - exchange places only keep a certain amount on hand.

hunt around a bit too - i was in the city (i'm in brisbane) changing my leftover yen back yesterday and theres massive rate differences between some places.

international atms can be a bit of a pain to find when you're over there too...
by katie ja rate this post as useful

Thank you 2007/12/13 22:10
Thank you all so much for all of your responses. Very helpful and instructive! ^^
by Jin rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/14 08:52
I have to agree with Katie J - CBA offers the best exchange rate with the lowest fee (1%).

Monitor the exchange rate and buy at 98 up. We rarely go above 100 now, so 98-99 are good rates.

When I went last year it was a dismal 85!
by . rate this post as useful

Jin 2007/12/14 12:39
--------At which Japanese banks can I convert Australian dollar for Japanese Yen?.......but I prefer to keep cash and I want to know what other options that I might have. ----------

When I was in Sydney Australia and needed to exchange some USD and US travelers cheques into Autralian dollars, they send us to the local bank there near the harbor in Sydney.
In Japan, they handle most of exchange situation set up at the airport exchange booth or at the cashiers in most major hotels.
I can only tell you as a visitor to Japan and as a tourist, we always exchange most of USD at the airport exchange booth upon arrival in Japan and exchange some at the hotel cashier when needed to be as any other foreigners.
by cc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread