Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to get ssi in japan 2007/12/14 05:57
I plan on going to okinowa for school and i get ssi here in the states how would i get it there and what are the benifits
by vegyo  

abbreviation 2007/12/14 09:40
What does ssi stand for?
by Sira rate this post as useful

sosocial security insurance 2007/12/14 10:05
social security insurance for disabled pepole
by vegyo rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/14 10:24
If you are disabled, why do you also want to work on a ship? It would be difficult for you to get insurance in Japan without Japanese nationality or having paid into the system for a number of years.

If you need support and cannot finance your stay you may not actually be eligible for a student visa.

ok 2007/12/14 10:44
yes i get ssi but that just pays for my medical that doesnt mean i cant go to school or work
by vegyo rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/14 22:35
by ... rate this post as useful

SSI 2007/12/15 08:56
People who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI)usually do not qualify for regular Social Security. It is a 'compassionate benefit' with specific criteria. Not everyone is eligible. Other countries are not obligated provide this benefit.

Going to school in a foreign country is not an entitlement. So be prepared to support yourself--your own savings, scholarships, etc. Not to dash your dreams--it's possible--you just need to make a more realistic plan. It's not any government's responsibility to give it to you.
by Keep hope alive rate this post as useful

national health insurance 2007/12/15 10:44
As shown in the links above, foreigners are entitled to join the regular health insurance system in Japan which you pay for as a portion of your salary- it's very cheap the first year but goes up substantially the second year. They cover 70% of most treatments at a hospital or clinic, and dental.

I'm not sure what happens with full-time students though, and as a foreign student you will be paying all your own fees and for your rent, food etc- the Japanese government will not support you financially in any way to study here unless you get the Mombusho scholarship (offered to only a small number every year, based on academic achievement in previous studies I believe).

reply to this thread