Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse visa interesting situation 2007/12/14 07:33
Hello~!
I (american) come to this site with an interesting case.

I've been living in japan nearly almost 2 years now on a college student visa.. I've been working part time as my visa allows me to do but other than that I of course have no income...

My girlfriend(japanese) as well works only part time...

My student visa will expire in april... but we plan to be getting married in march..

If I get a spouse visa.. The place I am working at now part time has offered me a full time job..
paying about ‚Q‚T–œ‰~ per month..
my girlfriend is also currently looking for a full time job...

so anyway.. my question is.. based on this.. what are the chances of my visa getting rejected?
my biggest fear is the financial situation...

thanks in advance to any replys :D
by Addicus  

should be accepted 2007/12/14 09:46
If your marriage is genuine then they won't reject your visa application- a lot of paperwork is needed though so you might be stuck in between visas for a bit. Have you already been to your embassy to apply for the "Certificate of non-impediment to marriage"?
by Sira rate this post as useful

the in-laws 2007/12/14 10:02
Does her family know that you intend to marry in March? You'll need them on your side in the off-chance that there are any problems with the immigration office.

For example, if your wife doesn't have a full-time job, her father might need to act as a financial guarantor. You have time. Do things right: ask her father for permission to marry, introduce your family to hers (over the phone, in letters, in person), etc...
by chan_konabe rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/14 10:06
If you become a spouse of a Japanese national, they cannot *quite* reject you on the ground of your/your spouse's income. (Before they give you the visa that allows you to work full-time, you cannot get a full-time job anyway...) You and your spouse can just write a statement about your financial situation, explaining that you have been in Japan on a student visa, supporting yourself out of your savings plus part-time work, and that you have gotten married, and that currently you are being offered this position once you are eligible to work full-time (just be sure to sound genuine; never make it sound as if you are getting married to be able to work, if you know what I mean), and that your spouse is looking for work. If they ask you further questions, be prepared to show some savings (bank book) or say your spouse's parents support you until your wife finds work, etc.

Just be sure to submit all documents and get all producedures completed before your current visa expires. Good luck with everything!
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread