Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggestions for Hokkaido trip in Feb 2007/12/15 08:43
Hi,

I am planning to visit Hokkaido around 10 days during Feb :
8Jan - Fly from Tokyo
8/9 Jan stay in Sapporo visit snow festival site and nearby places.
10/11 Jan - Daisetsuzen park: Stay at Teninkyo/Asahidake onsen.
12/13/14 Lake mashu and kussharo
15/16 Abashisri, take a boat ride to see floating ice
17 - back to Sapporo

Basically I am not planning for skiing, rather visit places with scenery/onsen and take photographs. Also I will be totally relying on public transport.

Would be great if someone can guide me:
1. Does the plan looks too tight?
2. I know from Sapporo I can catch bus to Asahidake. Is there any transportation from Asahidake to Lake Kussharo/Musshu and from there to abashiri?

3. Is the ropeway open In winter in Daisetsuzen park?
4. Which is best way to see floating ice: Aurora from Abashiri or Garinko (from Mombetsu?)

Thanks!
Girish
by Girish  

... 2007/12/15 13:11
Your title says February, but in the question you write January. Since you mention the snow festival, I assume you mean February.

1. Does the plan looks too tight?

Public transportation will be a pain east of Asahikawa.

Is there any transportation from Asahidake to Lake Kussharo/Musshu and from there to abashiri?

Asahidake is only connected to Asahikawa. From Asahikawa, there seems to operate two buses per day to Kushiro via Lake Akan (5 hours one way):
http://www.akanbus.co.jp/express/asahikawa.html

From Lake Akan, there seem to be one or two buses per day to the other lakes and further on to Abashiri:
http://www.akanbus.co.jp/

3. Is the ropeway open In winter in Daisetsuzen park?

Yes. The area is a small ski resort.

4. Which is best way to see floating ice: Aurora from Abashiri or Garinko (from Mombetsu?)

I think they are comparable. But Abashiri is considerably easier to access than Mombetsu.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread