Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

To live in Japan 2007/12/15 10:53
I would really love to work and live in Japan, and I will be traveling to Japan in April for the first time.

My mind is pretty much made up on whether or not I would like to learn Japanese in school, after my trip. But I will ultimately make up my mind, after my trip.

I am 18 now, I will travel in Japan at 19, and if I do decide to learn Japanese, I will be almost 20. I have no degree right now. Since graduating high school in 2006, I have worked full time, and have about $35000 CAD saved up.

Basically, I would like to know:

-What type of courses allow for a quick and easy degree?

-If I was able to get a degree, will my only option for work be teaching English? (Assuming I got a Working Visa)And would this be good for a career?

-Should go to school for a degree before I study Japanese?

-Roughly how many years would the whole process take to live in Japan? And roughy how much would it cost?

Also, if there is anything I missed, that would be good for me to know, please let me know some of these tips.

Thank you.
by Nathan  

WHV 2007/12/15 13:17
Have you considered a working holiday visa (WHV) instead? This might better suit your current situation. I assume that you are Canadian because you posted your savings in Canadian dollars. You can find more information about WHV's on the Embassy of Japan in Canada web site here:

http://www.ca.emb-japan.go.jp/canada_e/VisaTravel/workinghol...
by chan_konabe rate this post as useful

degrees 2007/12/15 16:59
I don't think there is any such thing as a "quick and easy degree", apart from the fake, fraudulent ones (highly illegal, not recommended). Japan Immigration requires a 4-year degree from Canadians- a Bachelor's degree takes 3 years in the UK, Australia and NZ so studying in those countries would be one option to get it faster (very expensive though).

In any case a degree should be in something you are interested in studying and which will hopefully benefit you career-wise in the future, not something you get for the sake of being able to get a Japanese visa- it's too much hard work for it not to be in something that interests you.

As above, start off on a WHV- then you can decide if you want to pursue the idea of living in Japan longer term and then go and get a full degree- perhaps you can do part of your study in Japan.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread