Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train to Sapporo, Jan 2007/12/16 14:31
In January, are scheduled train services going to Sapporo affected by weather, mainly snow? I will be traveling from and returning to Tokyo and have only 3 days open.
by Lacalifusa  

... 2007/12/17 06:59
Trains across Japan and around the year are barely ever affected by the weather. Exceptions are extreme weather situations, such as strong wind or strong rain, when trains may have to slow down or even suspend operation. It does not happen very often. Nothing to worry about. If you have only three days, I strongly recommend to take the plane instead the train for time reasons:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5306.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks again..... 2007/12/17 08:28
Glad to hear that, git does not happen very oftenh.
Ifd fly but since my rail pass will still be valid, I rather use the train. Riding on trains helps me relax.
My main concern was getting stranded in Sapporo. Checking Hypedia for Jan 24 and Jan 26, the schedules for the round trip looks good. Ifll check he weather reports before I depart Tokyo, if it looks bad, Ifll just go as far as Hakodate and kick it there for a day,

No holidays on those dates...right?
Thanks.
by Lacalifusa rate this post as useful

Hokkaido 2007/12/17 10:38
Lacalifusa,

While I understand your concerns about the weather, I think you are being over cautious. They are well used to cold temperatures and heavy snow in Hokkaido, so even a couple of metres of snow overnight will probably do little to disrupt train services. Conversely, 2 cm of snow in Tokyo can often cause transport to grind to a complete halt.
And while I understand your preference for train travel, I presume you realize that the journey from Tokyo to Sapporo by train takes 10 hours, which will take a big chunk out of your 3-day stay.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thank Dave 2007/12/17 11:06
Thanks for the input, I feel even more confident about the making the round trip to Sapporo and back without any problems.

As far as the duration, last year in April, I went from Fukuoka to Hakodate in about 15 hours. I really donft mind the ride, especially in the Japanese trains. What more can I ask for? Therefs good food, drinks, snacks and all served by pretty young ladies (although most of them are younger than my kidsf age). I always like to plan a little side jaunt whenever Ifm in Japan. It helps to unwind from my main trip and also prepares me for my trip home.

I understand what you are saying about Tokyo and snow, I live in Los Angeles and even a small amount of rain causes havoc on the roads.
by Lacalifusa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread