Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tefl/Toeic 2007/12/17 20:05
Hi,

I'm from UK and moving to Japan next year, however I'm just wondering how much of an advantage having a TEFL/TOEIC would be in applying for a teaching position (English) such as an ALT?

I've read mixed views on this, so I'm just wanting to clarify.

Thanks
by LJ  

... 2007/12/18 10:15
You mean TEFL/TESOL?

(TOEIC is a test that students of the English language take, so is TOEFL.)
by AK rate this post as useful

TESOL 2007/12/18 10:23
An online TESOL certificate is worth very little as it has no practical teaching component.

A CELTA is one of the higher regarded qualifications and may help, but it depends on the employer.

If you work in a Japanese public school for example you might well be expected just to follow and assist the main Japanese English teacher with whatever he/ she does.

Many private conversation schools prefer to train you in their own methods so don't really care if you have a TESOL qualification or not.

University jobs usually require degrees in TESOL, preferable a Masters.

Basically if you are thinking about spending quite a lot of money for a qualification and you are only planning to come to Japan, and not teach anywhere else in the world, then it probably isn't worth it.

By the way TOEIC stands for Test Of English for International Communication and isn't something native speakers study for!
by Sira rate this post as useful

Just to add 2007/12/18 11:01
Real-life TESOL or TEFL certificate courses, with practical lessons with actual students, do help to give the teachers-to-be good pratice in how to plan and carry out their lessons. (I do not know how this actually helps in hiring opportunities, though.) I do recommend at least this certificate course (normally 4 weeks or so, at least as far as I know from London) for anyone who wants to teach English :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread