Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

customs and gifts 2007/12/18 11:24
I am going to Kochi Japan for Christmas to visit my daughter who is teaching school there. Will customs let me bring christmas gifts to her? Am I allowed to wrap them? Please let me know ASAP as I am leaving on Dec. 23rd, 2007 thank you...oh, I am from Victoria, BC Canada
by karen blake  

... 2007/12/18 12:16
you can bring gifts into Japan as long as they are not contraband items.

Do not wrap before you travel. Otherwise they will most likely be unwrapped at customs or security and you will have to wrap them again.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Customs 2007/12/18 16:22
I wouldn't say most likely as the most likely scenario is that you will not be asked to open your bags by Customs. On the off chance that you do get asked to though, it is better not to have them wrapped.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/18 16:37
I'm am more concerned about when she leaves Canada. Security there is the most likely place that they will be opened, not Japanese customs who are used to seeing wrapped omiyage.

Security checkpoints at the airports specifically tell you not to carry wrapped gifts in your carry-on luggage, and recommend bringing wrapping supplies to your final destination.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

the other end 2007/12/19 08:13
Good point. Travelling out of New Zealand hasn't yet reached the point where things like that are checked, all they do is x-ray our hand luggage still, so I didn't think of what might happen in Canada.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread