Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Budget 2007/12/20 03:23
Hello there,
I have been told how expensive it is whilst travelling in Japan. Is £25 per day pushing it? We will stay for 3 weeks, but can only spend up to £600. Has anyone got any £ saving tips whilst travelling in Japan (ie, that are any different to normal tight budget rules)?
I have already started to book accommodation in the hope of saving a few quid.
Many thanks
by Joel  

... 2007/12/20 12:51
25 GBP = 5600 JPY
If this includes accomodation, it is pretty tight. Even dormitory at a guest house cost 3000 JPY per day.
K's house : http://kshouse.jp/tokyo-e/index.html
by JLady rate this post as useful

I'll regurgitate 2007/12/20 22:06
I'll regurgitate all the information I've been given here.

Here are some usual prices for accomodation, transportation and food
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2028.html

As well as sample budgets
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

If you rock up to a place rather than booking online it can be cheaper, bring a guide book with you (lonely planets seem highly recommended) so you can call around for accommodation.

Eating our of convenience stores is a cheap option, but most hostels usually have a public kitchen so you can save if you buy and cook your own food.

With travel obtaining a rail pass before you enter japan is a good idea, but make sure you get the right one. A 7 day JR Rail pass cost about the same as a Kyoto to Tokyo trip so its only worth it if you are making the long distance trip.

Each region has their own train passes, such as the JR West Kansai pass which if you stay around the Kinki prefecture would be much cheaper. Alot of money can be saved on train tickets if you get the right one that suits your need.
by Very Fat Bastard rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/21 02:09
How many people? Is that budget per person or total? Does it include lodging? airfare? And what area are you going to? What would you like to do while in Japan?

Having this info would be very helpful in answering your question.

But... yeah, that is going to be pretty tight no matter what. You may wabt to shorten your trip a little to give yourself more money.

You can probably get by on eating at convenience and fast food places though. Yoshinoya is pretty cheap, and of course there are the Japanese and foreign fast food chains.

by Robyn rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/21 11:16
For 5600yen per day, i could suggest you the following on a 7 day basis using the 7 day JR Pass (28300yen). If you were to buy the Pass and using the free night trains moving around the country, you will be spending 4000+ yen per day for accommodation. This is good because you have icluded the travel fare and lodging in the 4000yen per day. But you will have 1600yen per day (assuming spending 25pounds per day). With 1600yen , you have to eat at places like Lawson/family mart/Yoshinoya restaurants . It could be done but pretty hard on yourself. You have to safe few hundred yens per day for lockers and shower at public bath also. If for only 7 days, it would not be too tough but if for 21 days, you better consider expand your budget.
by lester rate this post as useful

reply to this thread