Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do Japanese schools teach Kanji? 2007/12/20 07:22
This question has been on my mind for a while now. I know it takes a long time for them to teach them all, but I still can't even guess how they could do it...
Do they just put 10 on the board and say, "Write these 300 times each." or something?
by Rrayni  

... 2007/12/20 11:59
In the first grade (for 6-year-olds), all text in the textbook is in hiragana(phonetic letters). Then they start introducing simple kanji - and initially the textbooks use small hiragana alongside the kanji to show how to read the kanji. I forgot how many per grade in grade school - which are used in the textbooks - and yes, kids in school get to see the stroke order how the kanji is written, how they are read, etc., and are given short kanji quiz (and have to memorize them of course). By the time you reach the 6th grade, I believe you'd have been taught 1000 or so kanji in school. (Of course by then, kids start reading books on their own, which means they would have probably learned some others that do not appear in the textbooks, using reference dictionaries.)
by AK rate this post as useful

like spelling 2007/12/20 12:57
The same way we learn spelling in English- writing them out numerous times with regular quizzes as above. We had spelling classes and practice right up until I was about 12 years old when I was at school- it's similar in Japan.
by Sira rate this post as useful

_ 2007/12/20 13:04
Also in my high school we had small kanji tests almost every day, which we studied for chapter by chapter, basically rote learning.
by Ink rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/20 13:08
AK, are you sure that they only learn about 1000 kanji in the first 6 grades?
I always thought that they learned all the 1945 Jouyou kanji in that time. Of course, this is based on presumptions. :)
A colleague told me recently probably based on his own kids, that a kid who just started the second grade will probably know about 80 kanji.

Yay, I'm better than a second-grader already. ^^ Over 300 so far.

I hope that I will know most of the Jouyou kanji within 6 years. :)
by Haf rate this post as useful

Haf: 2007/12/20 13:14
You're only required to know 1000 by the end of sixth grade but of course many childrens study more.
by Ink rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/20 13:47
Haf,

The key is that by the end of 6th grade (elementary school) you'd have been *taught* 1006 kanji at school. That's why I said, as kids read books, they might have picked up more on their own (which I believe I did).

Then by the end of junior high school (9th grade), you'd have been taught (so you're expected to know) 1608, then 1945 by the end of senior high school (12th grade.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/20 15:44
The key is that by the end of 6th grade (elementary school) you'd have been *taught* 1006 kanji at school.

Ah, that's exactly, what I wanted to know, what is being taught officially.
Thank you so much for the clarification and the additional info, AK. :)

I would be soooo happy if I could finally read like a Japanese 6th grader. ^^
by Haf rate this post as useful

List of kanji 2008/1/9 18:48
friends,
i would like to know if exists a list of all kanjis studied by japanese students. Do you know if exists a PDF files or so to be able to know which kanjis study every year. Thanks for all
by albert rate this post as useful

reply to this thread