Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

student budget in Tokyo 2007/12/22 03:38
I have an opportunity to come to Japan as a scholarship student.
Could anybody please tell me if its possible to maintain living in Tokyo having just 170,000 JPY in a month.
What if I will be accompanied by spouse?
Thanks in advance.
by Prospective student  

living in tokyo 2007/12/23 20:18
it is definitely doable. i think the minimum would be about 120,000 per month. you would have to be careful with money and you would have to get used to living in a very small space. with your spouse you could just do it but really you would want some extra cash to enjoy yourself.
by joseph rate this post as useful

budget 2008/1/23 18:00
hi,

i have been in tokyo on a similar scholarship system. I live on 160,000 a month. i have found it to be doable, but sometimes a little tight...
Of course it depends where you live. If you are lucky enough to live in student accommodation this is often quite cheap, and so you should be fine. I live in my own apartment. rent is 60,000 plus bils for a small room. which leaves 100,000 for everything else. Sounds like a lot but once you take into account commuting, phone bill, food, a couple of nights out, etc, i usually find i don't have too much left for travel or luxury shopping. However, if you are careful it is definately possible. there will also probably be opportunities to earn a little extra with one off jobs in your native language often offered to international students and stuff like that.
by student rate this post as useful

reply to this thread