Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese coins 2007/12/24 16:07
I have some coins that my Dad had when he travelled to Japan more than 20 yrs ago. Are the JPY$1000 or 500 coin still accepted? The Japanese small change in coins are so nummerous, as a visitor, I can't imagine counting them in a store! Will most places like AMPM or Lawson accept Suica cards? Please help.
by John Zee  

... 2007/12/24 17:13
Are the JPY$1000 or 500 coin still accepted?

Japan does not use dollars! 1000 yen bills and 500 yen coins from 20 years ago are still accepted.

Will most places like AMPM or Lawson accept Suica cards?

No! First of all, Suica is accepted only in a limited area of Japan. Mostly greater Tokyo and a few stores in other parts of the country. In these area, only Family Mart and Newdays seems to be accepting payment by Suica.

Edy can be used in ampm, Circle K, Sunkus, Family Mart, Mini Stop and Lawson.

7-Eleven has its own "Nanaco" smart card.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/25 09:13
I usually take the 1 yen coins out of my wallet every now and then because I rarely use them. Apart from that, I don't have much trouble with the coins.
You will handle 10 and 100 yen coins most of the time, with some additional 500 and 50 yen coins and rarely 5 yen coins. Paying with coins at the store is not that troublesome, and the clerks are usually nice and patient.
In Germany, when I lay a bill on the counter, most store clerks instantly take it and start gathering the change even if I wanted to check if I also can provide some of the money in coins. in Japan most store clerks wait patiently until I stopped going through my wallet before they start handling the payment.
Oh, and if you really have too many coins and your wallet feels way too heavy, you can also get rid of them at one of the vending machines. ;)
And you can also throw them in a prayer box at a temple and pray or wish for something from time to time. :)
by Haf rate this post as useful

Coins.. coins 2007/12/25 12:44
Thanks for all the replies. I checked my dad's coins, my goodness, the 2 JPY1000 coins are big and its actually from the mid 60's! Wonder if they are still good? And the 100coins are bigger than the new ones too. Maybe I should give them to the Museum!
by John Zee rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/25 12:51
1000yen coin from the mid 60s... that sounds like the commemorative coin issued on the occasion of the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games? You might want to hold onto it, or if you are not interested in keeping it, maybe sell it to a coin shop :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Indeed.. 2007/12/25 17:01
They are of the Olymics commorative coins, I will hold on man!
by John zee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread