Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Was Misawa AFB affected by earthquake 2007/12/26 00:44
Was Misawa AFB affected by earthquake
by Pam Sheppard  

... 2007/12/26 13:48
You might have better luck checking out their official page here:

http://www.misawa.af.mil/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

which earthquake? 2007/12/26 14:36
Which earthquake is that? Going back a few days on the Japan Meteorological website I can't find any earthquakes that were more than gentle shakes in that area of Japan- any area of Japan actually.

There was a small one near Sendai last night and a similar sized one near Aomori prefecture on the 23rd but neither of them were felt as more than
level 3, meaning just a gentle swaying that many people wouldn't have even noticed. In the Misawa area they were level 1, meaning they wouldn't have been felt by humans but instruments can pick them up.

Earthquakes of that size happen somewhere in Japan at least once a week, they are nothing to worry about.

The last earthquake of any size to hit Japan was in Niigata in July- it caused a lot of damage in that area but the centre was a long way from Misawa and they wouldn't have been affected.
by Sira rate this post as useful

6.0 Earthquake ENE of Sendai 2007/12/26 22:43
She was most likely referring to this 6.0

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us200...

on December 25, 2007, around 11:00 PM local time. I doubt very much that it affected Misawa, as it is quite a ways to the north of the epicenter.
by Paul rate this post as useful

earthquake 2007/12/27 07:59
I saw that one- it was measured by the Japanese Agency as 5.6 on the Richter scale, which is only a medium sized earthquake, and it was felt as a Level 1 near Misawa, which means that most people wouldn't have noticed it.

Nothing to worry about! :-)

Yes, sorry, Misawa AFB was affected 2008/7/31 10:19
My son is stationed at Misawa and he said that he and his wife were "shook out of bed." They lost pictures and some breakables. Some families had more breakage - one family lost all their glassware. He said he thought no one was injured. I don't have specific AF info. Just this personal info. He said it was quite a bit worse than the one earlier this summer.
by Mary C rate this post as useful

earthquake...and checking dates 2008/7/31 10:49
Inasmuch as the first question was from December of last year, you're referring to a different earthquake now.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Check dates on posts before replying 2008/7/31 12:27
Mary C, look at the date on my post- the end of December 2007. I know very well that there have been much larger earthquakes since then that affected that area much more than the tiny one in December- I felt them myself here in Tokyo, particularly the one last week.

I'm not at all surprised that one shook them out of their beds, I was just about shaken out of mine!

It sure was 2008/8/5 12:14
we had a 6.8 earthquake on 24 july 2008. It was my first one here in Japan. I understand there hasn't been one that big in this area in 25 years.
by Radu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread