Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Supermarket near Tokyo station 2007/12/26 10:40
Is there a full-size supermarket (that is, not a convenience grocery store) near Tokyo station? Thanks :)
by M-chan  

Probably not 2007/12/26 14:12
Doubtful. It is the heart of the city, a financial district and right next to the Imperial Palace so not a place you are likely to find supermarkets- the rents in that area are so high that I doubt an ordinary supermarket could make a profit. That is like expecting to find a supermarket on Broadway in Manhattan.

I have done a lot of walking in the area and the closest I can think of are in Ginza. There is the import shop Meidi-ya on Ginza dori and the bulk store Hanamasa a few streets back from Ginza doori. Neither of these are full size supermarkets.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/26 17:05
You could try the fresh produce section (basement) of Daimaru Department store (could be expensive, though), or Food Market "Precce" in the basement of COREDO Nihonbashi building (6,7 minutes' walk from Tokyo Station).

I think Meidi-ya in Ginza closed :(
by AK rate this post as useful

Department 2007/12/27 01:25
Yeah depending on what it is you are chasing at a supermarket i would suggest the basement of the department stores also.

Funny I went to Ginza tonight for wedding photos and went looking for Meidi-ya. Could not find it, I thought I had just forgotton where it was and got lost. Maybe AK explains why I could not find :)
by Kevin rate this post as useful

Ginza 2007/12/27 08:16
It's quite possible it's gone- I used to work in the building right next to it a few years ago but since I finished working there I have only been to Ginza once or twice and haven't been looking for it so I didn't notice it was gone.

Department store basements are definitely the best bet, although they tend to be pricey in that area and there isn't a full range.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/27 09:19
To Kevin and Sira,

We used to go to Meidi-ya in Ginza once in a while, and we were quite sure where it was - about across from Ito-ya. I even spotted the "Meidi-ya building," but the ground floor level store was a different shop - quite possible that they decided to lease the space :(
by AK rate this post as useful

meidi-ya in maru-biru 2007/12/28 09:22
There is now a branch of Meidi-ya in the basement of the new Maru-biru (Marunouchi Building), just a short walk across the station square from Tokyo station (or go through the connecting passageway straight to the basement of the Maru-biru. Not cheap, but better selection than a convenience store.
by tokyoite rate this post as useful

reply to this thread