Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what ryokan to stay at in Kyoto 2008/1/3 04:19
So I think I have looked up every ryokan possible in Kyoto and still donft feel confident about where to stay. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking for a private room for just me and my boyfriend. If it could have a private bathroom I would be happy. I am looking to spend 7,000-10,000 per person. I was looking at the Tour Club, but it says they donft provide bath towels. That you have to pay for it. That struck me as not right so I kinda drifted away from them. They were really really cheap though. Thoughts? We will be staying for 3 nights.
by jessika14  

Japanese inn in Kyoto 2008/1/3 14:02
I recommend the following traditional machiya-style inn with a private bathroom in Kyoto which suits your budget and it is located in central Kyoto city and has a nice, old atmosphere of Kyoto.
Try the website; Kawashima Ryokan Kyoto
by mamiko rate this post as useful

ryokan kyoraku 2008/1/3 14:48
hi there

i was in kyoto in november and we stayed at ryokan kyoraku - it only opened march last year so everything's brand new and clean. its an easy walk from kyoto station, provided yukata, towels and tea set. theres both japanese and western style rooms as well as some with private bathroom otherwise there is a shared private shower and japanese bath.

the website is here: http://www.ryokankyoraku.jp/e/e-index.htm - it's quite a basic site but it gives all the info you need!
by katie ja rate this post as useful

Tour Club 2008/1/7 00:46
I just got back from the Tour Club last weekend and it was really nice for the price. The staff was helpful, the location was just 10mins from Kyoto Station, and it was very clean. 70yen towel rental is not a problem for me at all.
by pigeon rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/1/7 00:59
Thanks everyone! The Tour Club is sold out! So I am back to the drawing board. I looked at the other suggestions and they may be a possibility but one was a little pricey. I will keep hunting and hopefully come up with something!
by jessika14 rate this post as useful

website for ryokan 2008/1/7 04:43
http://www.itcj.jp/

Have you tried the above website? They work with the tourist organization.

They list a number of ryokan in Kyoto.

I haven't used them personally but I have read about many others were satisfied.

Enjoy!
by Mara rate this post as useful

Seikoro 2008/1/7 11:22
A few years ago we stayed at the Seikoro near Gojo Bridge and found it great. I'm not sure what the rates would be at this point.
by Tay rate this post as useful

Ryokan Ohto? 2008/1/9 23:35
So, I finally got a reply back from a ryokan I inquired about. The Ryokan Ohto has room. Has anyone stayed there? It seems okay from what I can find on the Internet. It was in my price range and had a bathroom....

ryokan 2008/1/10 07:43
Hello there,

I haven't stayed in the one you've mentioned, but i'd totally recommend one called "Matsui Honkan" it's within walking distance of town. I can't remember exactly how much it cost, but my bf & I had a (huge)room with a private (albeit v.small) bathroom, you get that anywhere tho, the buildings are all generally old and didn't originally accomodate bathrooms etc. They woke us up each morning and put away our futon, and brought us amazing breakfasts, you can see a pic here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=497653&l=21081&id=5955...

my bf and I felt like royalty :)
by furan rate this post as useful

I've stayed in the Ryokan Ohto 2008/3/3 23:27
I stayed in Ryokan Ohto in December 2007. It's OK, but the rooms are small and the landlady was a little rude, I thought. There's a curfew (midnight, from memory) though the door wasn't locked when we came back a little later. The location is pretty good - maybe 10 mins walk from the station, and very near a subway station. It's also cheap, so if that's your main consideration, then may be worth going to. Don't expect service or any ryokan atmosphere though.
by tav rate this post as useful

costa del sol 2008/3/7 08:11
check out this place, It's not fancy, but clean with friendly staff. Great location & cheap. They also had romms with private bathroom. I satyed here a couple fo years ago and had a fun time visiting with people from all over at the end of the day.

http://costadelsol.co.jp/en/en_kyoto.html
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

Ohto 2008/3/7 12:23
I just got back from Japan. We stayed at Ryokan Ohto. I didn't like it. There is smoking there and it smelled of cigarettes. Also, I thought the the place was a little dirty. The bedding is uncomfortable and I developed a rash while I was there. I don't know what it is, I go to the doctor tomorrow, but it developed after sleeping there. Also, when you leave you have to leave your key in a box where anyone can take your key. I felt that was really unsafe because basically your stuff isn't safe in your room. I wouldn't recommend it. You get what you pay for.

reply to this thread