Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

10 Days in Tokyo 2008/1/3 18:38
We are planning 10days tour mainly in tokyo city.

Appreciate could anyone advise me whether i should get the 7 days unlimited JR as our main transport within tokyo city ?
by vivian02  

... 2008/1/4 10:34
What is your plan outside of Tokyo? It depends on how far you want to go out of Tokyo.

If you're not planning to move out of Tokyo, JR Pass does not make sense to you.
by JLady rate this post as useful

Not worth it. 2008/1/4 11:20
The JR pass is about 28,000 yen, but you wouldn't be likely to spend more than 1,500 yen a day or so on transport within Tokyo.

The JR pass is good if you want to make long hops by bullet train around Japan. It is a huge waste of money to buy a JR pass if you plan to spend the whole time in Tokyo.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/4 18:22
As pointed out by posters above, purchasing a seven-day JR pass makes no sense in your case. There are various one day passes for transport in Tokyo.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html
http://www.jnto.go.jp/syd/pdfs/USEFUL_TICKETS.pdf
by optimistk rate this post as useful

16 days in Japan 2008/1/9 11:22
Thanks for all the advice given for JR Pass.

Since the JR Pass is worth it for outside of Tokyo city. So, we are planning to extend our stay in Japan as follow:-

D1-Narita Airport - Kyoto
D2-Kyoto
D3-Kyoto - Osaka
D4-Kyoto - Nara
D5-Kyoto - Himeji
D6-Kyoto - Hakone
D7-Hakone - Tokyo
D8-Tokyo - Shinjuku
D9-Tokyo - Harajuku
D10-Tokyo - Shibuya/Roppongi
D11-Tokyo - Akasuka
D12-Tokyo - Ginza/Tsukiji
D13-Tokyo - Disneyland
D14-Tokyo - Disneysea
D15-Tokyo - Ikebukuro
D16-leaving tokyo

Appreciate someone could share their experience / opinion in respect to the above itinenary.

Thanks.
by vivian02 rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/9 13:24
Judging from your itinerary, I guess you prefer modern aspects of Japan to historical one.

If you'd like both, I suggetst you to allocate each 8 days in Kansai(Kyoto, Osaka, Nara etc.) and Kanto(Tokyo, Hakone) or longer in KANSAI, since there are more to view in Kansai.

Whole 1 day for 1 downtown in Tokyo is too long for average travellers...
by Jtraveller rate this post as useful

trip in Tokyo 2008/1/9 14:37
D1-Narita Airport - Kyoto
if you arrive in the afternoon you will end up quite late in Kyoto..(it might take 5-6 hrs from the time you land to the time you arrive in Kyoto)it is possible, but you need to tell your hotel in advance.
D2-Kyoto
1 day is nowhere near enough to see 3 or 4 major sights in Kyoto
D3-Kyoto - Osaka
you will be running around to see the major sights but possible
D4-Kyoto - Nara
OK
D5-Kyoto - Himeji
you could visit the castle in the morning (store your bags at the railway station)then go to Hakone from Himeji.give you more time in Hakone if necessary or 1 more day in Kyoto at the start (reccomended)as going to Hakone might be easier from Tokyo with a special ticket.
D6-Kyoto - Hakone
D7-Hakone - Tokyo
D8-Tokyo - Shinjuku
D9-Tokyo - Harajuku
you can do Shinjuku and Harajuku (don't forget the Meiji shrine!)in one day with time to spare
D10: Tokyo - Shibuya/Roppongi
only if you want to see more pricey stores. you could add it to the previous day.

D11-Tokyo - Akasuka
D12-Tokyo - Ginza/Tsukiji
Tsukiji must be see at 6 am or even before.then you have to waste time until stores open on Ginza at 10 am at the earliest. better go to Asakusa as it is working class and there is some hustle and bustle early. You could also squeeze in Ueno park in early afternoon. Ginza (more extraordanry beautiful and very expensive stores)looka better in the late afternoon when the lights come on. .
D13-Tokyo - Disneyland
D14-Tokyo - Disneysea
D15-Tokyo - Ikebukuro
not worth a whole day.. a couple of hours at most. both Shibuya and Ikebukura are my least favorite parts of Tokyo.
you could use the extra days to go to either Nikko or Kamakura.
D16-leaving Tokyo

how about:
Day 1: Narita-Tokyo
Day 2: Tokyo: Shinjuku, Harajuku,Shibuya,Roppongi
day 3: Tsukiji, Asakusa, Ueno, Ginza
Day 4: start 7 days pass
Tokyo-Kyoto in the morning, giving you an extra 1/2 day in Kyoto
Day 5: Kyoto
Day 6: Nara
Day 7: Osaka
Day 8: Himeji-Hakone
Day 9: Hakone
Day 10:Hakone-Tokyo
Day 13:Nikko
Day 14: Shinagawa and/or Ebisu,and Odaiba
Day 15: Ikebukuro, last minute shopping
Day 16: departure
yes I KNOW that I didn't schedule Disney.. Japan has too much to offer to waste time there.. but you could do it by removing whatever I have on days 14 and 15

by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

16 days in Japan 2008/1/9 14:59
Thanks alot sensei 2.

We may consider your suggestion. Still in planning stage.
by vivian02 rate this post as useful

Harajuku shopping suggestion 2008/2/1 14:42
When you visit Harajuku, I recommend shopping at the Oriental Bazaar. It's very popular with both tourists and Japanese people because there are lots of souvenirs and gifts to choose from. I went there several times when I lived in Japan and took quite a few of my friends; it made a nice day trip into Tokyo for us, as I lived in Yokohama as a US Navy dependent. Some of the friends I took to Harajuku (and also other areas in Tokyo) lived in Yokohama and some in Yokosuka.
by Lori rate this post as useful

Beyond Tokyo 2008/2/1 18:37
I agree with previous posters, if you have 16 days and a JR Pass, absolutely travel beyond Tokyo. Unlike capital cities in the world, Tokyo is a business center more than a cultural center. In fact, there is surprising amount to do in some of the most remote areas of Japan.

Consider extending your trip to Okayama or Hiroshima. Consider Shikoku. Consider the backside, Japan Sea side of Japan even, where few foreign visitors go. Cities along the Japan Sea are some of the few areas that weren't completely destroyed by bombing during the war, and can be quite interesting for foreign tourists.

If Tokyo does end up dominating your itinerary, at least consider Kamakura or Nikko. Within Tokyo, venture off the main streets and away from stations, or try a less touristed area: these can be some of Tokyo's most interesting areas.

by zoogy rate this post as useful

Shopping fun 2008/2/1 19:03
I second the Oriental Bizarre. Its a great place to buy many Japanese cultural gifts in one place. It saved me alot of time avoiding shopping at over expensive department stores.

Not that you should skip department stores in Japan. They are an adventure!
by drj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread