Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Overnight train Sapporo to Kushiro 2008/1/6 13:29
I intend to book the JR overnight train from Minami Chitose departing 23:49 to Kushiro arriving at 05:50(called ƒX[ƒp[‚¨‚¨‚¼‚ç?).
JR website requires membership (submission of a mail address) in order to book trains. It seems that this address can relate to a Japanese mobile phone number. If I am not a Japanese resident and do not have the 'qualified address'. Can I actually make bookings over the internet?
If I want to do the booking over the phone, does JR accept bookings 1 month in advance?
by Alan  

... 2008/1/6 15:35
JR Hokkaido's online reservation system requires an address in Japan. So, I am afraid, you cannot use it.

If I want to do the booking over the phone, does JR accept bookings 1 month in advance?

I am afraid, reservations over the phone are not possible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

JR overnight train Sapporo to Kushiro 2008/1/6 18:22
Thanks Uji.
Does it mean that tourists who have no associates in Japan have to buy tickets on the spot, i.e. no reservation is possible?

As far as you know, what's the chance like in buying tickets ON THE SPOT for this overnight train in early Feb?
by Alan rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/6 18:24
I'd say you don't need to bother booking the train "Marimo" from abroad. I suppose the train will very unlikely be full. A couple of days' notice would be good enough if you'd like to make a booking.
Please be reminded that the train doesn't run everyday anymore. It runs mostly on weekends and holiday periods.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

JR overnight train Sapporo to Kushiro 2008/1/6 18:32
Thanks Optimistk for your info.

I'm a bit worried as my schedule is very tight (arriving Chitose Airport that night).

But I think I have to try my luck since no advance booking is available from overseas.

... 2008/1/6 18:38
Does it mean that tourists who have no associates in Japan have to buy tickets on the spot, i.e. no reservation is possible?

You can make reservations at JR stations across Japan from one month before travel date. But if you arrive in Japan on the evening of the journey, I think you have no alternative but see on the spot whether the reserved seats and berths are booked out or not.

But note that the "Marimo" ("Super Ozora" is the name of the daytime trains on the same route only) carries unreserved seats, which you could use in case that all berths and reserved seats are booked out.

As far as you know, what's the chance like in buying tickets ON THE SPOT for this overnight train in early Feb?

As mentioned above, you can ride at least in the unreserved car, by any means. And as also mentioned by optimistk, the train is not very popular and it is unlikely that all berths and reserved seats are booked out.

In February 2008, the "Marimo" will be operating on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights and on February 11 (public holiday).
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/6 18:59
Noted, thanks!

Ticket info 2008/1/8 15:08
how much does the ticket costs for Sapporo to Kushiro ? any different in price if i buy day then night train ?

btw, Can i use JR hokkaido rail pass for night train ?

-G
by Gee rate this post as useful

train reservation 2008/1/8 15:31
Alan,
This company offers to make train reservation ( against extra fee ) for non-Japanese visitors:
http://www.jet-lag.org/en/jr/jrtickets.html
by Peter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread