Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko travel questions 2008/1/6 22:45
Hi guys, I'm planning a one-day trip to nikko during my stay in Japan.

My question is that if i want to explore Nikko and Oku-Nikko and visiting Lake Chuzenji and Yumoto Onsen, would it be advisable to get the All Nikko Pass? Because my JR Pass also covers on the day that we are visiting Nikko as well. But after seeing the bus fares to the places above (1k yen +), i'm in a dilemma.

please advise. thanks in advance.
by jeffrey  

... 2008/1/7 15:44
I believe there is a Tobu bus pass that covers all the area from Nikko station - Kegon Falls - Chuzenji Lake - Yumoto Onsen. Valid for two days, free to get on/off the bus anywhere within this zone, at 3,000 yen per person. As one-way bus ride from Nikko station to the Lake already costs something like 1,000 yen, I think it makes sense to use this bus pass, if you want to take a ride up to the Lake, for example, take a walk, then take another ride up to Yumoto, and come back to the temple area, etc.

All Nikko Pass includes the Tobu train ride that you do not need, right? And the Tobu ride seems to be restricted only to rapid or local trains unless you pay additional fare for Limited Express.

Another thing: if you are going to Yumoto Onsen as well, an overnight stay might be advisable. I've done one day trip from Tokyo, visiting the temples and then going up as far as Kegon Falls and Chuzenji Lake, but for seeing Oku-Nikko and particularly if you want to do some good hiking, that is not enough, I felt at least.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/7 18:36
If you have a Japan Rail Pass, the All Nikko Pass makes no sense. Instead, you could consider a pass for the buses in the Nikko area (or pay for regular tickets).
by Uji rate this post as useful

however... 2008/1/9 23:11
hi thanks for all the response... however from what I see at the Tobu travel website, they do not offer bus passes. They are either All Nikko Pass, Kinugawa Pass etc.
by jeffrey rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/10 09:25
The passes are not introduced on their English website. Here they are in Japanese:
http://www.tobu-bus.com/pc/free_pass/onsen_free.html

The passes are valid for 2 days. The cost depends on how far into the Okunikko area they are valid to:

Until Yumoto: 3000 yen
Until Senjogahara Plateau: 2650 yen
Until Lake Chuzenji: 2000 yen

Even regular tickets are likely to come cheaper than a free pass from Nikko.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread