Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Private food tours in Tokyo or Kyoto 2008/1/7 22:30
Does anyone have any experience with private food tour guides? What I am looking for is a 2-3 day gourmet tour with visits to the various markets, including the fish market, an experienced guide who can speak English and give proper explanation of Japanese culinary culture. It would also be nice if they can provide recommendation or assist in the booking of renowned restaurants, drinking spots etc... I would like a combination of both budget eats and more high end cuisine.

Any help / recommendation would be appreciated,
by Desmond  

... 2008/1/8 12:30
I've never heard of private food tour guides but I think you can ask for a tour guide who loves eating out. Having said that, asking hotel concierge (if you stay at a full-service hotel) is the best way to book a famous restaurant as they generally have connections.
by JLady rate this post as useful

JNTO 2008/1/8 20:18
Send an enquiry to the JNTO rep closest to you. Or via their website, but I am a great believer in the personal approach.

They have directed me to solutions to quite esoteric requests in the past. Japanese cuisine is a very good topic to request a guide.
by Ira rate this post as useful

.... 2008/1/9 02:11
Many thanks for all your advice!
by Desmond rate this post as useful

I might add . . . 2008/1/9 09:04
. . . that if you are in Japan, JNTO has an English phone number: 03-3201-3331. They also used to have a toll-free line outside Tokyo but I don't have that number handy.

To answer a question like that they will probably have to get back to you though.

JR also has English support at 03-3423-0111.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

food tours 2008/1/9 15:42
I think the tour company ''Intrepid'' does a food tour of Japan. Would not be private and goes for over a week I think. Also, it is pricey, though I think they pay for all the food.
by focal rate this post as useful

Kyoto Sights and Nights 2008/1/11 05:25
Kyoto Sights and Nights offers geisha tours, but also cultural, shopping and food tours. Here's the link to the Gourmet Tours information page:
http://www.kyotosightsandnights.com/custom.html
by Valerie rate this post as useful

thanks again 2008/1/12 16:45
Thanks Valerie - will contact the site.
by Desmond rate this post as useful

find it? 2008/9/8 16:25
Desmond,
Did you ever find your private food guide?

by red rate this post as useful

about Tokyo 2008/9/10 02:56
I'm a japanese,l was born and live in Tokyo.
There are so many good restaurantes in this town.
If you go to bookstore, you can find many books about restaurant of Tokyo.
Perhaps, a problem is language,I think,
so,
if it's possible, you may go to "KINOKUNIYA book store" in Shinjyuku (South Gate,behind of "Takashimaya".
Takashimaya is a big depertment.)
"KINOKUNIYA book store" has many books of English about Japan.

Normaly, all depertment of Japan (TAKASHIMAYA, ISETAN, MARUI, SEIBU, TOKYU, etc) have many restaurantes and taste is good.(not super great. but if you don't have any information about restaurante, you can eat something good there.)

Japanese food that I recomend you are... TONKATSU, NABE, MONJA, OKONOMIYAKI, TAKOYAKI, ODEN, RAMEN. UDON, SOMEN, .. so many I can't count all.
I hope you enjoy eating many delicious food.

Have a nice travel.
by Noriko rate this post as useful

Tokyo Tour 2008/9/12 12:20
Hi!!!

While I stayed in Tokyo, I had a volunteer tour guide. He showed me Tsukiji fish market and had nice sushi breakfast. Also he took me to a big department store food hall in Shinjuku! It was amazing!!!

Great service!!!

Tokyo Free Guide
http://www.tokyofreeguide.com/index.php?ml_lang=en
by Tara rate this post as useful

reply to this thread