Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3 week trip to Japan 2008/1/8 01:08
Hi, my husband and I plan to come to Japan on 1st trip in March/April this year. We are finding it hard to work out a rough plan of where to go and how to stay in each place. We are interested in sites-temples,gardens etc, outdoor activities like skiing, hiking, cherry blossom viewing, nightlife and eating out, onsens etc. Any recommendations would be very welcome.
by AstridR  

3 weeks 2008/1/8 10:57
please use the search function right above the opening page of this forum. just type 3 weeks in Japan and you will get a whole list of questions/ answers on that topic alone.
by Red frog rate this post as useful

__ 2008/1/8 15:54
If you wanted to see the entire Japan, using the sample itineraries posted on the website might be a good idea. However, it is possibly a bit rushed - for a slower holiday or a more in-depth exploration why not focus on a few major cities like Kyoto, Tokyo etc. instead?
by Inkk rate this post as useful

3 week trip 2008/1/9 03:49
the Japanese themselves call the Kansai region the craddle of Japanese culture. It has 3 ancient capitals: Osaka, Nara and Kyoto, several authentic castles: Himeji and Hikone to name only 2. Osaka by the way has great stores, striking modern buildings, elevated freeways etc. a great aquarium AND a very efficient transit system. There are amazing temples or shrines in Uji and Fushimi-Inari etc. .etc. this could be the main part of the visit. . I only went to Tokyo on my 3rd visit to Japan. it is an interesting city but it doesn't have the wealth of historical buildings one finds in most world capitals as it is a "new" capital and was badly destroyed in 1923 then during WW II. the best part of going to Tokyo is its proximity to Nikko, Kamakura, Hakone and Mt Fuji. Of course there are other places both farther North and South of the area between Osaka and Tokyo. if you are willing to buy a 14 days pass you could stay in the Tokyo area for one week then stay one week in the Kansai and one week somewhere else. For a first trip I would only do the Kanto (Tokyo area) and the Kansa. Everything will be new and unusual and you may suffer from sensory overload if you see too many different places in too short a time. With 30 years of travel behind me I have found that staying in any town for several days(becoming familiar enough with one area that the staff in a coffee shop recognize you) is preferable to seeing a different town every day or other day. One cannot see all of any country in years never mind a couple of weeks..I also don't really believe in "must absolutely see" sights. Sometimes the hype and having seen many photos, films etc. reduce their impact while you may fall in love with a not very well known place you discovered by chance. SORRY ABOUT THAT LONG WINDED MESSAGE
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

In short, 2008/1/9 04:30
Allocate more time in Kansai if your porpose to visit Japan is to view Japan's authentic historic Treasures and scenery(cities, temples, shrines, castles etc.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_region

Allocate more time in Kanto if you'd like to enjoy the well-internationalized mega city and its surroundings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantō;_region

I recommende Kansai for sure :)
by Jtraveller rate this post as useful

My thoughts... 2008/1/9 04:33
AstridR,

Red Frogfs last message is in line with my own sentiments; less is better. I have been to Japan on several trips ranging from 2- to 4-weeks and have yet to see a great deal of the country.

You could easily fill your time with the Kanto (Tokyo, Nikko) and Kinki (Osaka, Nara, Kyoto) areas. From any of the major cities you can easily reach a variety of wonderful places.

Since March/April may be the height of the Cherry Blossom season in those areas, you could easily add gHanamih (cherry blossom viewing) to the things to see while in Japan.

Tenshi
by tenshi rate this post as useful

3 weeks? 2008/1/9 08:31
3 weeks--- ski and ski, onsen, sightseeing, see maiko odori, yoshino yama cherry blossom viewing.

I would concentrate on sking first part of your trip in Nagano or Hokkaido or in both places combined time of one week or so or 5 days in each places.
Leave last part of your trip for sightseeing in Kyotoand areas nearby, see Maiko Spring Odori in Gion(kyoto) and see the viewing of cherry Blossom in Yoshino yama (depending on what days thru April you will be in Japan) I have feeling you may be able to do that.

by cc rate this post as useful

3 weeks in Japan 2008/1/9 14:50
AstridR
least you get confused, Kinki is the name locals give to the Kansai. Kansai means "west of the barrier" the barrier being the last fort on the heavily guarded road between Kyoto and Edo(now Tokyo)
Kinki means "near the capital" the capital at the time (for just over 1000 years) being Kyoto
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread