Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ten days trip in Hokaido 2008/1/9 01:35
We will go to Hokaido for a ten days trip from Jan 24 to Feb 2, 08. This is our first time to Hokaido but we have not worked out our itinerary.Appreciate your advice on how to plan our trip if we want to rent a car.
by Rita  

... 2008/1/10 16:29
by Uji rate this post as useful

my trip schedule 2008/1/11 14:48
Dear Uji,

I have worked out the trip schedule as follows. Since this is the first time we go to Hokkaido (we don't know how to speak Japanese), not sure if the plan is workable.
Kindly advise:
- We been advised not to drive in winter. We prepare to take JR train. Can we use Hokkaido Railway Pass to take JR trains to access all the flwg intended destinations. ie. overnight train from Sapporo to Abashiri?
- Should we make reservation of train seats ahead i.e overnight train?
- How is the route from Niseko to Hakodate? It seems to me that there is no direct train from Niseko to Hakodate. We need to change train at some points.
- Can you suggest some hotels(Western or Japanese Style with onsen) that close to ski area?

Jan 24 (Airport to Otaru)
Jan 25 (Staying at Otaru)
Jan 26 (To Niseko)
Jan 27 (Staying at Niseko)
Jan 28 (To Hakodate)
Jan 29 (Staying at Hakodate and taking the overnight train to Sapporo)
Jan 30 (Taking early morning train at Sapporo Train Station to Abashiri, taking the ice breaking cruise, returning to Sapporo by taking overnight train)
Jan 31, Feb 1 (Staying at Sapporo)
Feb 2 (To airport returning home).

Thanks
by Rita rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/11 18:12
The itinerary is not practical. You underestimate the siz of Hokkaido and travel times between its cities!

Abashiri, in particular is at the opposite side of the island from Hakodate. By train, it takes most of a day to get there.

And the overnight train, that used to operate between Sapporo and Abashiri, now only operates on selected busy dates. In the second half of January, it operates only on weekends. Also, the regular rail pass does not cover the berths, only the seats. A supplement has to be paid for using berths.

The journey from Niseko to Hakodate can be as little as 3 hours with a good connections, but there are not many good connections. Check the timetable in advance.

Do you have to enter Hokkaido through Sapporo's airport?

If not, I suggest the following route, which would be considerably more efficient:

Enter Hokkaido through Hakodate Airport, then make your way to sapporo by train via Niseko and Otaru. Then, make your way to Abashiri (by train or plane) and finally leave Hokkaido from Memanbetsu Airport.

... 2008/1/11 23:47
Dear Uji,

Thanks for your advice. We will fly from Hong Kong to Sapporo. Would it be more practical going to asahikawa/Sounkyo intead of Abashiri.
by Rita rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/12 08:25
Would it be more practical going to asahikawa/Sounkyo intead of Abashiri.

They are closer to Sapporo and, therefore, faster and easier to access. But, of course, there you have no drift ice. But dropping distant Abashiri would save you a lot of time and make the plans more realistic. Although, it will still be very packed if you want to visit all these destinations within 10 days. Possible, but very busy.

reply to this thread