Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Some Japanese text is garbled on my PC 2008/1/11 04:46
On Windows XP, I have Control Panel -- Regional and Language Options -- Languages -- Supplemental language support -- Install files for East Asian languages checked to on, and on most websites, Japanese text is displayed correctly. However, on some, it is still a garbled mess, like here:

http://www1.tcn-catv.ne.jp/hakucho/famicon.htm

For example, this is the first line of text I see on that website:

''Žžeã‚Ì‚ê‚Æ‚Æ‚à‚É�AŽ¸‚í‚ê‚‚‚ ‚éƒtƒ@ƒ~ƒRƒgƒƒtƒg�B''

Other websites look perfectly fine. It's the same situation whether I use Firefox or Internet Explorer, and when I try with my laptop, which is running Windows Vista. I assume a different character encoding is being used for ones that still display garbled text where there should be Japanese, but I really don't know for sure. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem?
by Josh  

... 2008/1/11 09:48
There is more than one kind of character encoding for webpages and if the wrong one is chosen then the text will come out wrong.

In firefox, click on view - character encoding - Japanese (shift_JIS)

That makes the website you posted appear correct on my computer.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

It works! 2008/1/11 10:11
Awesome, thanks. I'm sure there's much more that I can/should learn about this, but I see in that menu I can also set the character coding to auto-detect for Japanese, and that seems to work, too.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Now I can finally try to read some of these websites. :P
by Josh rate this post as useful

moji bake 2008/1/11 11:35
I get the very same thing on just a few websites, even though my PC was purchased in Japan. I always thought that it was because I have a Mac and use Safari, but perhaps not. I wonder how I can see those pages properly?
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/11 23:25
In Safari, try View - Text Encoding - Japanese (Shift JIS) or Japanese (EUC)
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread