Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One-way air tickets to Japan 2008/1/11 09:24
Hi folks, I've been searching around but never was able to find an answer on this.

I'm moving to Japan from the US (specifically Los Angeles) for one year in a couple months time and currently looking for one-way tickets. Right now, it seems like the average one-way ticket is around $1,000 but I was wondering if any of you guys have had experience buying a roundtrip ticket and throwing away the return leg? It would probably only save me a couple hundred dollars but it's still money that I'd prefer to spend on something else.

Thanks!
by DanY  

. 2008/1/11 09:53
Of course, you can ditch the return ticket. Why not?
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

Throwaway Ticketing 2008/1/11 10:09
It's a huge issue with most US domestic carriers. Almost all of them will either fine you, penalize you reward miles, or charge you the regular one-way fare for doing ''throwaway ticketing''.

I just wasn't sure if the same policies held true on international flights, especially since ticket conditions list maximum stays at 11 months or shorter.
by DanY rate this post as useful

Same here 2008/1/11 12:12
Hey it's the same story over here in Scotland. Finding a one way ticket is either really hard or really expensive.

I can't think of any way the airline could charge you though for not using the return ticket unless you pay be credit card and it's part of the Terms and Conditions that you agree to such a charge. With Air Miles I guess they could take them from you arguing that you wasted a seat that could have gone to someone else but then if you've paid for it what difference does it make if your sitting in it or no, their still getting their money.

Tricky subject, I'd say best bet is to call an airline and check unless anyone else here can give better information (although I'd still check with the airline before doing it :) )
by Ryan from Scotland rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/1/11 12:15
Yeah, that probably seems like the best step to take. Thanks for your help Ryan!

Check KAL 2008/1/12 02:37
I couldn't find a cheap 1-way ticket to Japan, but I could find one to Seoul, Korea, on KAL. The flight stopped in Narita and I just got off. There was never any problem.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

try IACE Travel 2008/1/12 07:18
Have you checked IACE Travel? They are offering one-way ticket for around $400 to 500 (for january to february departure from LAX). Their website is www.iace-usa.com. Hope that helps.
by eine52 rate this post as useful

Visa 2008/1/12 11:53
Unless you already have the visa in your passport, immigration in Japan requires that you have a return ticket when you enter.

In any case, I've found that international return tickets are always cheaper than one way.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

thanks guys! 2008/1/12 16:01
Thank you all of your input folks! I checked out IACE, H.I.S. and JTB. It seems like their prices for some reason was much less than other websites.

As for the visa issue, I fortunately have a Japanese passport for that shouldn't be any problem. Thanks for bringing it up though!

. 2008/1/12 20:38
But since you said you'll be in Japan for 1 year you plan to return to the US, right? With many airlines it's possible to book the return flight about one year ahead.

Of course you probably don't know yet when exactly you will return. When I went to Japan for one year I bought the tickets from STA Travel and chose a return flight for December even though I knew I was supposed to stay in Japan till March. So I definitely wouldn't return on that day I chose. But it was possible to change the date for the return flight later on and that's what I did. It only cost about 40 $.
by kaya rate this post as useful

Kaya 2008/1/13 10:14
Kaya,

Yeah that's a great point. I'm pretty much sold on just purchasing a one-way ticket and getting another one-way when I get back. I think that I'm staying for one-year but of course, there may be some circumstances in the future that cause me to stay there for a little longer...

Thanks for your help.

reply to this thread