Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

11 days please advise itinerary 2008/1/11 23:41
Please advise itinerary. Landing at Osaka Kansai March 2nd at around 10 am and flying back March 11th at 12 same airport. Osaka 2 nights -Kyoto 2 nights-Nara 1night-Tokyo 3nights-Osaka 1night. Its my first time in Japan and Id like to see both old and modern. I really dont know if it is too many places in too short time or if some other rout would be better. With my schedule, should I purchase the JR 7 days pass and combine it with JR West Kansai Area Pass? Many thanks for helping
by Marie  

... 2008/1/12 08:03
I really dont know if it is too many places in too short time or if some other rout would be better.

It is an okay pace for people who like a fast to medium-fast pace of travel.

With my schedule, should I purchase the JR 7 days pass and combine it with JR West Kansai Area Pass?

I recommend the 7-day pass for your side trip to Tokyo, although, you could do cheaper by overnight bus in case you want to save as much as possible:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html

As for the Kansai Pass, it usually does not pay off, unless you travel half across the Kansai region (e.g. one day trip from Kyoto to Himeji) or you want to use the Haruka limited express between Kansai Airport and Kyoto.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kansai 2008/1/12 15:21
Please allow me a suggestion: When I visit the Kansai, which I have done quite a few times already, I find it more convenient to stay in the same hotel for the duration of the staythan change hotels everyday!. Osaka, Kyoto and Nara are close to one another and are all linked to one another by frequent trains and I had rather stay in one place.Some people may well argue that the commute by train takes 30-40 minutes.. This gives me a chance to check the style and shapes of the houses along the various lines, to look for solar panels on the roofs, admire the rice paddies and gardens etc. Of course a 40 minutes train commute is what I do everyday back home so it is second nature to me.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

11 Days Itinerary 2008/1/13 11:50
I suggest that you do a DETAIL Itinerary for every day you'll be in each City to better plan your trip. If this was my trip, upon my arrival at Kansai Airport, I would go to Kyoto for 3 nights instead of 2 and not get a hotel in Nara. I would do a half day trip to Nara from Kyoto or Osaka. In Nara, the must see attraction is Todaiji Temple.

After Kyoto, I would go to Tokyo for 3 nights and return to Osaka for the last 3 nights. I believe you'll have a full plate while in Kyoto although you can do a half day trip to Nara instead of from Osaka. Then, from Osaka you can do a day trip to Himeji Castle in the morning and maybe to Kobe in the afternoon before returning to Osaka. While in Kobe, upstairs of JR Sannomiya Station is the Portliner Monorail. The Portliner takes you down to Port Island, circle Port Island before returning to the Station. You can get off at Shimin Hiroba Station to explore Port Island but we generally do not get off and return to the Station. From the Portliner, you get a close-up view of the Harbor while being able to see Kobe City against the mountain. It's a short sightseeing ride and the roundtrip cost is about 500yen.

On the street immediately West of the Station, you can ride a Trolley Car on wheels that circles the main tourist sites of Kobe. You can get on and get off at any one of their many stops. Their stops are marked by a sign with a picture of the Trolley. Each ride costs about 200yen but you can buy an all day pass for unlimited rides. A map of their stops is available from the attendant. There are many Trolleys and it takes each Trolley about one hour to complete the circle.

The number of Cities you plan to visit will be at a comfortable pace. You should get the 7 day JR Rail Pass but determine what day is the best to make it effective. Clearly, you need to cover the roundtrip to Tokyo and possibly the day trip to Himeji and Kobe or any other day trips you plan. I'm sorry to say that I'm not familiar with other Kansai Train Passes to advise you what other Passes you should get versus paying for tickets for the periods not covered by the 7 Day JR Rail Pass.

Have a wonderful and safe trip.
by Harold rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/1/14 02:02
Thank you for your good suggestions.I will definately look into that.Harold, I like your suggested schedule, I think I try it.
by Marie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread