Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Name Help? 2008/1/13 17:06
I've recently made an attempt to translate my name into kanji.
I have chosen to romanize my name as 'Kasuti' instead of 'Karusuti' and I have ended up with the kanji ''.
I'm not entirely sure of its meaning but I was planning to use the simplest kanji possible.
Is it alright for me to use '' as my first name or is it to ridiculous?

I am also having trouble with my last name 'Folwell'. I'm not sure of it's meaning but I was thinking of using it's two sound components 'foal' and 'well' as the last name's meaning.

I would appreciate any help, if it isn't too much trouble. :)
by Kirstie  

... 2008/1/13 20:24
I strongly advise against because the two kanji mean "sludge, pulp, etc." and "blood." At a glance it's shocking (at least to me, a Japanese).

Apparently what you are trying to do is to convert the *sounds* of your name into similar sounds that exist in Japanese, and then find kanji for those sounds, but I recommend first starting with the correct syllable representation of your name, which I assume to be equivalent to: "curse tea" "foal well"? Then it would be transcribed in Japanese syllables as "Ka-a-su-ti Fo-ru-we-ru." (I can give you the katakana if you are interested; katakana is the normal set of phonetic letters used to write non-Japanese or imported names.)

If you *must* have it in Kanji, yes, you *could* assign kanji that have the same or similar sounds to the names/syllables, that have pleasant meanings or meanings you like. But the selection would be totally arbitrary; if you ask several Japanese people to pick some kanji, everyone might come up with different candidates.

I must say this is not really an easy name to select kanji for... for one thing, it is important to have "kAAsuti" (a long (a) instead of "kasu," which has the meaning of sludge, etc., as I've explained, which means you want to have one kanji for one syllable of your first name. Actually the same applies to your last name as well; there is no one kanji that has the sound of "foal" or another single kanji that has the sound of "well."
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

Re:Name Help? 2008/1/13 20:41
'' means 'blood'.
I think it's not good.

In my investigation
'Kirstie' means 'church built by stone'.
If I apply this meaning to Japanese Kanji,I choose '΋'.

or

'Kirstie' sounds like 'Kasuteira'.
'kasuteira' is a sweet cake and written '{ꗅ' in Kanji.
If I apply this sound to Japanese Kanji,I choose '{'.

by kimkara rate this post as useful

To add 2008/1/13 23:24
Kirstie,

When people with non-Japanese names want to make Japanized names, there are two things you coulc try:

(1) Convert the *sounds* into syllables that exist in Japanese, and write it in Katakana. (And you *could* select kanji that has the similar/same sound and pleasant meaning, as has been discussed.)

(2) Find out the *original meaning* of your name in your own language, and find the equivalent word in Japanese and use that as your "Japanese
nickname." Note that in this case, the sounds would be completely different.

Yourself (and I) have been trying (1), so is Kimbara's attempted '{ꗅ or {. But Kimbara's attempted ΋ is the second approach. I think it makes sense to stick to one approach throughout a person's full name, IMHO.

by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread