Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is tax important? 2008/1/15 03:29
I am a filipina my JAPANESE boyfriend and i are planning to get marry this year ,but he failed to pay his taxes for almost 4yrs..I am a little bit worried if he can get me and be with him in japan?Is a tax certificate needed in processing a spousal visa?or in applying a certificate of eligibility?Does anybody have idea on this..ANY OPINION? I WILL APPRECIATE ALL OPINIONS AND SUGGESTIONS..THANKS!!!!
by miya chan  

... 2008/1/15 12:03
Why did he not pay taxes? Because he had no income? Or did he not report his earnings? I hope you realize that the latter would be a criminal act, which could easily have an impact on your status of residence in Japan.

In order for him to get a certificate of eligibility, he needs to prove that he has enough income/wealth to sponsor you. This can take the form of bank statements, employment letter, income statement, income tax forms, etc. If he has no income or did not report his income, there is a high risk of the application to be turned down.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks a lot for for your reaction uji.. 2008/1/16 02:16
Anyway my boyfriend is working in kaisha and i dont really understnd why he is not paying tax.He told me before when he is not yet separated to his wife he his paying taxes and hoken{i dont no if thats the correct spealling} but that is 4 yrs ago.. what we should do to be able to get me or sponsor me ? {confused
by miya chan rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/16 08:27
I recommend that your future husband pays his taxes first. Not only for your visa, but to avoid long term problems.

By the way, companies in Japan are supposed to withhold taxes and insurance fees from their employees' salaries:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2206.html

do he need to pay all his unpaid taxes? 2008/1/18 01:05
uji san thanks again for your quick reply,but i still have question regarding to the taxes.Do my boyriend needs to pay all his unpaid taxes.I meant in 4yrs that he did not pay his taxes do he need to pay all of these? AGAIN UJI SAN THANK YOU VERY MUCH....
by miya chan rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/18 09:22
do he need to pay all his unpaid taxes?

Sure. At least. He will probably also have to pay interests and a possible fine. I recommend to get advice from an expert: e.g. a (anonymous) call to tax office or consulting a tax lawyer.

reply to this thread